Help with cycling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DonC

Reaction score
Hey everyone so I started my fishless cycling on my 29 G planted tank. I used a few drops of ammonia first day morning and shrimp shells from my freezer. I have used this method in the past and it worked like a charm however this time I used a lot more shrimp shells on that same day at night l put a full 16 oz bottle of fritzZyme 7 in. The following 2 days terrible smell and cloudy water okay third day smell gone and water clearing up. Day 2 ammonia was 0.50ppm day 3 it shot up to 4.0 ppm was not expecting that so soon so I pulled out the zippered media bag with the shrimp shells and don’t want to add anymore ammonia is that the right thing to do. I concerned about it stalling.
What should I do any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Hey everyone so I started my fishless cycling on my 29 G planted tank. I used a few drops of ammonia first day morning and shrimp shells from my freezer. I have used this method in the past and it worked like a charm however this time I used a lot more shrimp shells on that same day at night l put a full 16 oz bottle of fritzZyme 7 in. The following 2 days terrible smell and cloudy water okay third day smell gone and water clearing up. Day 2 ammonia was 0.50ppm day 3 it shot up to 4.0 ppm was not expecting that so soon so I pulled out the zippered media bag with the shrimp shells and don’t want to add anymore ammonia is that the right thing to do. I concerned about it stalling.
What should I do any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
You could try keeping the shrimp shells out (since they are an unknown variable) and see how long it takes for the tank to remove 4 ppm ammonia, and then add more ammonia and go another round. I've never used fritzzyme, but a full bottle for a 29 seems like a lot. Check nitrite and nitrate levels to see if the enzyme is working.

I'm curious to see how quickly your tank cycles.

You could try keeping the shrimp shells out (since they are an unknown variable) and see how long it takes for the tank to remove 4 ppm ammonia, and then add more ammonia and go another round. I've never used fritzzyme, but a full bottle for a 29 seems like a lot. Check nitrite and nitrate levels to see if the enzyme is working.

I'm curious to see how quickly your tank cycles.
Thanks l will let you know

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back