Help with Cory eggs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jake.3030

Reaction score
Hey all, I woke up this morning to Cory eggs all over the side of my tank. I did some research and quickly found out the would become fish food if not rescued so got my old betta tank out, probably about 2 gallons, threw some sand and a plant in, took the eggs out with a credit card and put a bubbler In with everything else. I don’t have a top for the tank or a spare heater, will room temperature be okay or will I have to change water from my big tank to keep the temperature good? If anybody has any other tips/tricks it would be much appreciated, i’d Love to have some little Cory’s swimming around

Last edited:
If the room temperature is not much below 70F (21C) it might be OK. Any cory eggs I have had hatch were in the main tank which remains around 74F/24C.

Doing water changes is not the best idea as this will only mean fluctuating temperatures, not to mention the work involved 24/7.

One thing you can do is get one of those nylon breeding nets that hang in one of the front corners of an aquarium, and put the eggs inside this. I did that with a couple cory eggs and they hatched and when the fry were large enough I let them swim out into the main tank.

Add some dried leaves to the net/water, whichever you do; the fry develop faster when this infusoria is available from the decomposing leaves. Oak, beech,maple leaves will do, make sure they are completely dead dry (pick them up from the ground, never from the tree) and clean. Or you can buy dry almond leaves in some fish stores.

The next issue will be food for the fry beyond the leaves. I only had a couple eggs so I didn't bother with hatching live food, and beyond the leaves I added Omega One's shrimp pellets.

Room temp is around 68-69, felt the water temps today and felt about the same so going to assume I’m good on that front, i added a cherry shrimp in as well, heard those help clean the eggs. I have hikari first bites and frozen brine shrimp that should suffice for food, I heard adding leaves can release some pretty bad chemicals, Is there a way I can avoid that or is that the being completely dead piece?

Room temp is around 68-69, felt the water temps today and felt about the same so going to assume I’m good on that front, i added a cherry shrimp in as well, heard those help clean the eggs. I have hikari first bites and frozen brine shrimp that should suffice for food, I heard adding leaves can release some pretty bad chemicals, Is there a way I can avoid that or is that the being completely dead piece?

The leaves themselves are very beneficial to any aquarium with their bacterial properties. Just make sure they are collected from clean and safe areas.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back