Help with Bristlenose (ich or not)?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oh I thought you said it was just the bristlenose pleco. If fish were added recently, it is possible that ich was brought over as well.

Does the fish have a red-ish mark on the back behind the eyes? Is that new? Colouration?

Does the fish have a red-ish mark on the back behind the eyes? Is that new? Colouration?
It is coloration. A redder form of the bristlenose pleco. All other fish in the tank are good just this one. I am sure he probably has ich and it just isnt falling off of him to its next stage all that fast. I will raise temps and such for him and see what I can do about it. I should have left him in quarantine more than a week. I was just excited to get going on adding more to my tank that I havent added to in 10 plus years. I have only had ich 2 times ever including this one. So guess I got nailed good with it on him. The spots on my driftwood blow me away. I can not figure that out at all. Can not be ich I wouldnt think as it offers ich nothing so the ich would die on it. Got me.

It is coloration. A redder form of the bristlenose pleco. All other fish in the tank are good just this one. I am sure he probably has ich and it just isnt falling off of him to its next stage all that fast. I will raise temps and such for him and see what I can do about it. I should have left him in quarantine more than a week. I was just excited to get going on adding more to my tank that I havent added to in 10 plus years. I have only had ich 2 times ever including this one. So guess I got nailed good with it on him. The spots on my driftwood blow me away. I can not figure that out at all. Can not be ich I wouldnt think as it offers ich nothing so the ich would die on it. Got me.
Colouration, good. I was worried it was infection
Keep the temperature at 30°c/ 86°f for two weeks, I have done this and it worked.
Don't know on the driftwood! I had assumed it was sand.

That is what concerns me. The big red patch at the back of the head is usually an indication the fish is unwell and possibly has an infection (virus or minor bacterial infection in the body).

Combine this with rapid breathing and there is something going on.

The fish could have excess mucous or whitespot, it's a bit hard to tell from the pictures.

---------------------
Do a 75-90% water change and complete gravel clean. This will help dilute anything that might be in the water, including possible whitespot parasites.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

Raise the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keep it there for 2 weeks.

Post some more pictures preferably with the fish in a different area.

Most reactions

Back