Help with betta.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

ajr0053

Reaction score
Hi all, youā€™ve helped me in the past with my first betta, and this time I need help with my other somewhat elderly man. Heā€™s around 5 years old, and is usually very energetic attention seeking. However Iā€™ve come to notice heā€™s slowing down, which is somewhat normal. I know bettas can live longer than 5 years, but given that he was store bought and also given to me by someone who couldnā€™t take care of him correctly, Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s catching up with him now or heā€™s just old. Heā€™s begun to sit on plants a lot, which is normal, but he rests in a bit of a ā€œcā€ shape when he does so. Heā€™s eating normally, albeit missing his food so I hold it for him with tweezers. His tank is heavy planted and heated, and all parameters are accounted for (ammonia, ammonium, nitrates etc.) I thought he could possibly have a tumor as his ribcage pokes out a bit at the side, but when heā€™s straight, itā€™s not as noticeable. Iā€™m wondering if more experienced eyes could tell me if heā€™s got a tumor, is sick, or is simply just old. Heā€™s still eating and seems fine, but if thereā€™s anything you believe I can do for him or improve, please let me know. Iā€™ll attach a few photos of him from top view for the c shape and ribcage I was noticing.

thanks.

Attachments

• 2070EB9F-F8E4-4FCF-898F-79D85D5B3FB5.jpeg
    2070EB9F-F8E4-4FCF-898F-79D85D5B3FB5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
  • 74DA3C98-D767-46C4-A030-FB30B914F187.jpeg
    74DA3C98-D767-46C4-A030-FB30B914F187.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • D8722DFA-E7AC-4FED-80D6-45CA41601B7F.jpeg
    D8722DFA-E7AC-4FED-80D6-45CA41601B7F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
I do see the tumor you are speaking of. It looks similar to the one I had on my old betta.

@Deanasue gave me advice to treat him and it ended up healing him, but he still died. I hope this isn't the case with your betta.

Do water changes now. She will be on later. @Colin_T might be able to shed some more light on this. Hope your betta gets better soon!

(Note: 5 years for a store bought betta is a very good life.)

I think heā€™s just a very old man whose time is approaching. Even if it is a tumor, thereā€™s nothing you can do for it. Just love him and keep him comfortable. I had a very old one who died peacefully during the night. He didnā€™t seem to ever suffer. :)

Ohh.. then i think the spot I had on my old betta was a really bad fungal infection. Maybe my betta died due to a tumor? I don't know...

I do see the tumor you are speaking of. It looks similar to the one I had on my old betta.

@Deanasue gave me advice to treat him and it ended up healing him, but he still died. I hope this isn't the case with your betta.

Do water changes now. She will be on later. @Colin_T might be able to shed some more light on this. Hope your betta gets better soon!

(Note: 5 years for a store bought betta is a very good life.)
Thank you for your answer and Iā€™m sorry to hear about your betta! Iā€™ll just continue to take care of him as normal as Iā€™m guessing thereā€™s not much to be done about a tumor. Thanks again

I think heā€™s just a very old man whose time is approaching. Even if it is a tumor, thereā€™s nothing you can do for it. Just love him and keep him comfortable. I had a very old one who died peacefully during the night. He didnā€™t seem to ever suffer. :)
Thankā€™s for your reply. I wondered if that might be the case with a tumor. Iā€™ll just keep caring for him as normal! Thanks again.

No problem man! Hope he gets better or improves. :)

Madame' are you talking about a fish or YOUR old man ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back