Help with Betta Tank!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Betta Love

Reaction score
Hi guys Iā€™m new here and fairly new to fish keeping. So I have a 3 gallon tank I set up in January with a filter and heater. I suspected my tank was cycled when I put in my beta in February. Now Iā€™m not sure cause all i have in my tank is ammonia no nitrates or nitrites. And Iā€™m not sure if my tank has any beneficial bacteria or in the filter or gravel. I have an api freshwater master kit and I test everyday and today all I have is Ph 6.0 Ammonia 0.50 and Nitrate and Nitrites both 0 Iā€™m not sure if I donā€™t have a good filter or adequate flow on it and that could maybe be the problem? And I do a water change every week but Ammonia is still 0.50 ppm and my heater is at 80. Is there anything I can do or is my tank not cycled yet or everything is fine? My betta is eating and acting like a normal betta should so Iā€™m confused as much help would be great thanks šŸ˜Š

Can you test the source water for ammonia?

Betta don't like the filter to have a strong flow.

What did you do to cycle the tank? If you just left it for a month without adding ammonia nor monitoring the levels it will be uncycled.

Can you test the source water for ammonia?

What did you do to cycle the tank? If you just left it for a month without adding ammonia nor monitoring the levels it will be uncycled.
Hi yes I can I will totally do that! And I remember adding a little API quick start thatā€™s all but other than that nothing

The only product that we jelly has the correct bacteria for aquariums is the dr.tims one and only and tetra safe start. (Dr.tims sold it to tetra). Quick start may help a little but not much... I would do daily water changes over 50% until you stop seeing any ammonia and nitrites in the tank.

And for a side note, 3 gallons is really small for a betta... 5 gallons minimum and 10 gallons is a better minimum. 20 gallons is really good but not needed... Although really really nice.

The only product that we jelly has the correct bacteria for aquariums is the dr.tims one and only and tetra safe start. (Dr.tims sold it to tetra). Quick start may help a little but not much... I would do daily water changes over 50% until you stop seeing any ammonia and nitrites in the tank.

And for a side note, 3 gallons is really small for a betta... 5 gallons minimum and 10 gallons is a better minimum. 20 gallons is really good but not needed... Although really really nice.
Ok thanks :) once I have this all figured out I was planning to move him to a 5 gallon and all I have is ammonia in my tank no nitrites or nitrates

Ok thanks :) once I have this all figured out I was planning to move him to a 5 gallon and all I have is ammonia in my tank no nitrites or nitrates
Ammonia is still very deadly in any amount. It just takes longer to kill the fish in smaller amounts... So I would do daily water changes of over 50%. Its all part of a "fish-in cyle"

What is the ammonia level in the tank and in your tap water? A lot of places have chloramine as the disinfectant in tap water; this is chlorine and ammonia joined together and the ammonia part shows up in the ammonia test. It's usually just the lowest colour on the chart so if your tank reading is higher than that there's another cause.

I would have expected the tank to be at least part way through the cycle in 2 months, no ammonia by now but nitrite showing up. Or even through the cycle. A single betta does not make that much ammonia.
The filter - is it one with nothing but carbon cartridges inside? The are common in small tanks. If it does have these cartridges, have you been changing them as the instructions will doubtless say? Changing the cartridge throws away most of the good bacteria so we ignore the instructions and just wash the media in old tank water taken out at a water change.

Finally, when you do the ammonia test, what is the light you read the colour under - daylight, old fashioned incandescent bulbs, fluorescent tubes (or cfl bulbs) or LED light? It has been established that fluorescent lights make the liquid look greener than it really is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back