Help with betta (fin damage, possible fin rot)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Noelevee

Reaction score
Hello!

Iā€™m writing because Iā€™m really concerned about my betta fish Barry. His fins have been looking off lately but today they look wayyy worse. This AM there were two new holes and rips In his fins and Iā€™m pretty sure now, this afternoon, the holes have ripped and created more tears.

Iā€™ve been doing 25% water changes this week and just ordered a pH tester, aquarium salt, and new filters for my tetra whisper filter.

Is there anything else I can do?

Thank you for any help!!! Iā€™m so sad heā€™s not healthy :(

Attachments

• AEA411C3-0AD6-4872-8B4B-B366D540916C.jpeg
    AEA411C3-0AD6-4872-8B4B-B366D540916C.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 151
  • 6D6F303F-7CA9-4D40-BF8C-3CED751D604E.jpeg
    6D6F303F-7CA9-4D40-BF8C-3CED751D604E.jpeg
    216.7 KB · Views: 142
What are your water parameters? Did you totally remove your filter for a brand new media? Is he in there with another fish? If so what are they please?

What are your water parameters? Did you totally remove your filter for a brand new media? Is he in there with another fish? If so what are they please?
Thanks for your response!

Its a 2.2 or 2.5 gallon I believe (gifted from a friend). It has a few live plants and floating plants, gravel, and a metal thermometer inside. I havent removed my filter, it just comes with pads and I ordered fresh ones to help with filtration.

He's in there alone, no other fish yet. I'm thinking this must be bacterial but I suppose he could be ripping his fins on something in the tank or nippin em? The fins look slightly darker on some of the ends but no red or white present.

What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrate and nitrites? Also do you have another tank beside it? I ask because I can see a fin on the first picture.

What are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrate and nitrites? Also do you have another tank beside it? I ask because I can see a fin on the first picture.
Oh gotcha, I'm really new to this and my friend whose been housing fish for years said I didn't need a pH test *face palm* so I don't know yet but I've ordered one off prime and hopefully it'll be here tomorrow or the day after. This is my only tank but I'm thinking with the plants, if i do the salt then I'll need an isolation tank?

Okay, Iā€™d recommend the API master kit. You need to test for far more than PH. How long has he been in the tank?
Ok! He's been here just under 2 months. His fins seemed off but it wasnt until today were they super ripped and different. It happened so fast it was freaky. I've been monitoring them closely.

I also see what looks like fins in both pictures. Maybe a tetra in the first one, and another betta in the other? Are we going mad?

I've edited your photos to show what the other members mean when they say it looks as though there is the tail of some species of tetra.
betta 1.jpgbetta 2.jpg

Re the filter, it is not a good idea to replace the filter media. In a tank this size the filter probably contains carbon cartridges. You can either leave them there and just wash them in water you take out during a water change; or you can cut a slit in the cartridge, empty out the carbon, then get some filter sponge (any make), cut it down to the shape of the cartridge, place the sponge tight against the frame and empty bag of the cartridge and put that in the filter. Sponge just needs washing, it will last for years.

Water changes are the first thing to try for his tail - at least 50% every day. This is often enough to solve the problem. As long as water conditioner is added to the new water, and it is roughly the same temperature as the tank water, daily water changes will do no harm.

I've edited your photos to show what the other members mean when they say it looks as though there is the tail of some species of tetra.
View attachment 114867View attachment 114868

Re the filter, it is not a good idea to replace the filter media. In a tank this size the filter probably contains carbon cartridges. You can either leave them there and just wash them in water you take out during a water change; or you can cut a slit in the cartridge, empty out the carbon, then get some filter sponge (any make), cut it down to the shape of the cartridge, place the sponge tight against the frame and empty bag of the cartridge and put that in the filter. Sponge just needs washing, it will last for years.
Oh I thought you meant a tetra filter lol. I think thats just a fleck of a leaf or something. No tetras for me. Just Barry. I'm overwhelmed by one fish lol

Also thank you for the filter advice. It's confusing with all of this because the box says to change it every two weeks and I'm just trying to read up as much as I can to decipher what's true. I had no idea it would be this much time and info for one small fish! Oy luckily I can afford it right now.

Filter manufacturers always tell you to change the media, mainly so you'll spend money. Carbon cartridges are slightly different - carbon removes organic things from the tan then it gets full and stops adsorbing things. So if you want to remove organic things from the tank - for example medication after fish have been sick - use carbon. That's about all it's useful for. But it will also grow filter bacteria on it, and when you change the media as often as they say, you throw away a lot of the bacteria.
If you do have carbon cartridges in the filter you can leave them there if you wish, just wash them in old tank water every couple of weeks to get the brown goo off. Or you can modify the media as I described above.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back