Help white spots on fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TankCla

Reaction score
Hi all
I have an issue with my Cardinal & Neon Tetras. In the last days I have seen on a couple of them some white dots at the tail fin. The dots are much bigger than ich, which is easy to identify, and only in one spot, not everywhere on the body.
The aquarium is a 46 bow tank, running for 10 months, heavily planted (jungle style aquascaping), RO water with Seachem ferts program, 50% weekly water changes.
The problem is that I have not seen this type of parasite/disease before in my years of keeping aquariums and due to the global situation, I have not added anything to the tank in months.
I tried netting them for a better picture, but the thing came off the fish leaving a big hole in the flesh.

Please see the pictures for a better understanding if anyone can help me with a diagnostic.

Thank you!
Klaude

20200511_165412.jpg20200511_165532.jpg20200511_165629.jpg

@Colin_T knows more about diseases than me so I will let him step in here

It's probably excess mucous or fungus.

Test the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Make sure the filter is clean.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and see if it improves.

If there's no improvement after a couple of big water changes, you can try adding a bit of salt. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

If there's no improvement after a couple of days with salt, increase the dose to 2 heaped tablespoons of salt for every 20 litres of water.

When you do water changes while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank so the salinity (salt level) in the tank remains stable.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back