Help, Where Can I Put My Fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joselaz5780

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So there are many insects in my house(mosquitoes) and we are going to fumigate the house on friday. We won't be inside the house for basically 5 hours and I was thinking if the smoke would harm my fish tank. I was thinking of taking the tank down, save the water in buckets and put the fish in my 2 gallon emergency tank for the day. There are 12 fish in total and I think that 2 gallons would stress them even if it's only for 5 hours. The small tank also has a filter, so that isn't a problem. What else can I do?

i think that is the best thing to do

When I had to use very potent flea spray in my house (the sort you can only get from the 'vets) I was advised to wrap the top part of the tank and the lid in cling film to stop any of the aerosol getting in to the tank as it was incredibly toxic for the fish. I had to spray very thoroughly behind the tank and everything and the fish were fine. I don't know if cling film would be advisable for 5 hours plus though.

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe covering the top part with about 5 pieces of clothing, plus the lid on top of the clothing, but then that might not be enough. However, taking down the whole entire tank will not be too pleasant. I don't think that leaving the aquarium water in buckets for so long would affect it, would it?

If it's smoke I'm not sure clothing would work as it's not airtight. The fish will be fine in buckets for a few hours. I had a featherfin syndontis in a tupperware tub overnight with a small filter running and one of my planted bits of bogwood for him to hide under. The actual container doesn't matter to the fish as long as the temp and oxygenation are kept stable and ammonia not allowed to build up. The biggest pain is catching the little darlings who don't appreciate that you are doing this for their own good :grr: :D

I had to fumagate my house for fleas a few years ago. You set the bomb and leave the house for 4 or 5 hours. This sounds like it's on the same line as what you are dealing with. Tearing down my 5 aquariums was not an option ( 3 55gal, a 54gal and a 46gal). I was told to turn off all air going to the tanks, wrap them in plastic and secure it with duct tape. Then wrap the tanks in blankets and secure the balnkets with duct tape. I did this and my fish were fine.

they would be fine in the 2 gal tank for 5 hours.. if not do you have any keen fish keeprs in your area?. that possibly breed fish for a hobbie and so on?.. usually they have a spare tank or 2 thats cycled and safe for fish maybe thats an option..

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back