Help! Whats wrong with my Oscars!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Floridapierce78

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 Oscar's in a 125gal long with plenty of filtration. Bi-weekly water changes and have not changed anything in months. But I did add fluvals Bio-Fx to the FX4 about a month ago.. They seem to be hanging out I'm the bubbles allot and are forming weird patches like there skin is faded or blistered. I will post pic. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Water parameters would help. I suspect thereā€™s a nitrite presence.

The pictures donā€™t work for me.

I'm sorry, I forgot the water parameters.
G.H 180
K.H 180
P.H 7.5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40.
I know the nitrates are high. They always have been. No matter how many water changes. I cannot get below 20. That's a 50% water change everyday for 3 days. So I just do 2 a week and it stays between 20 And 60. I have a 125. So, that's allot of water. After the last water change the Oscar's magically got better. I'm wondering if I had an ammonia or nitrite spile do to the adding of the Bio- fx into the FX4

Im.sorry, I did t realize my camera was taking pictures H.E.i.F mode. I fixed the issue. But the Oscar's are fine now. They looked like they had gotten a sunburn. And skin about to peel.

Sounds like nitrite. Bio-fx is a porous medium so I guessed you started to get a little denitrification from anaerobic bacteria (NO3 -> NO2). Sounds like itā€™s up to speed now. :)

Sounds like nitrite. Bio-fx is a porous medium so I guessed you started to get a little denitrification from anaerobic bacteria (NO3 -> NO2). Sounds like itā€™s up to speed now. :)
Is thr bio fx as good as they claim? I tried matrix and purigen I couldn't tell they were even there

I think all porous media are pretty much the same. But they need to be kept very clean to work as porous media, or the pores will get blocked, so any of them can work or not work. If theyā€™re not kept clean theyā€™ll just work as non-porous.

Figured I would show off my gentle giants!

Attachments

• 20230320_095129.jpg
    20230320_095129.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20230320_095119.jpg
    20230320_095119.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230320_095112.jpg
    20230320_095112.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 24
I think all porous media are pretty much the same. But they need to be kept very clean to work as porous media, or the pores will get blocked, so any of them can work or not work. If theyā€™re not kept clean theyā€™ll just work as non-porous.
Well, I have them i have 3 trays full I'm a fx4. Behind the 1 level of sponges to a secondary layer of tighter sponges behind nitrogen reducing mats. And after the Bio -fx is 2 layers of filter floss. Figured I would clean the fx once monthly now instead of 3 months

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back