HELP! What's happening to my fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Chunandler

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a very healthy 10 gallon tank with 3 platies and an oto not long ago if you remember? Well now I've had a couple platies die off and I've got one right now I just got video of. I know he's dying and I cant do anything. I don't know why he is?? There's red brown algae on the fake plants. Does this have anything to do with it?? He doesn't appear sick, and all my fish that have died have done so about a week after the others. I've still got another molly and 3 otos in there. Whats' going on??

small video= http://www.myweb.cableone.net/dhall768/poorfish.wmv

pic of tank with brown/red algae on plants :no:
algae.jpg

????I moved him and the molly to the 30 gallon.. We'll see if they get through the night. The otos are still in the 10 gallon. They seem ok right now. What's wrong with the 10 gallon.. Is it the algae??????????????????? Anybody out there?

*** 27 views an no one can take 30 seconds to make a simple response.. :no:

Mod's note: Please do not try to by-pass the swear filter.

Can you post water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph, are they any physical symptoms like this fish has darkened in colour, spots,fungus, flicking and rubbing against objects, anything to go on.

I do not know what your fish are suffering from but when my platies were ill I successfully treated them by giving them a salt bath. 3 (Three) grams of salt per litre of water is a mild saline solution, and it did my fish a world of good when I had fish in the past.
Introduce the salt already mixed with the water slowly (over 10 minutes) and this should not significantly harm any real plant. This bath can be kept for a few days (I used it for a few weeks) and always have new water handy for prompt replacement if you notice worsening conditions. Salt bath is unlikely to make worsening conditionings because it is a natural antibiotic, and will not screw up your poor little fishes immune system.
Up to you if you want to try it, it worked for me.

I gave my very ill betta a nice warm salt bath today and he seemed to actually enjoy it. He's been suffering with ick for quite a while and while he was in the salt bath he was swimming around as if he was being treated to a trip to the spa.

My computer here at home is an old dinosaur so I can't get the video to come up. Can you briefly explain what is going on in the video??

Thanks!

I have mollies in a saltwater tank....they are tough as nails....patties are tough too but you need to watch the algae though...move everything to the 30 gal and then take the algae out

When he stops swimming, does he have a problem staying still, i.e. tilting to the side, floating up, sinking down. That could be swimm bladder.

andrew said:
I have mollies in a saltwater tank....they are tough as nails....patties are tough too but you need to watch the algae though...move everything to the 30 gal and then take the algae out
I think this may have been the problem. In the end, every fish I had in there died with exception to the otos. Almost 2 weeks later, they're still doing fine, all 3 of them. Could the algae have killed them?

Chunandler said:
andrew said:
I think this may have been the problem. In the end, every fish I had in there died with exception to the otos. Almost 2 weeks later, they're still doing fine, all 3 of them. Could the algae have killed them?
probably not seeing that the fish eat the stuff. My guess would be swimming bladder.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back