Help! What is wrong with my White Cloud Minnow?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RoseyPosey567

Reaction score
Hi, this thread is going to be really long if I use full sentences so I'm just going to make a list of everything that's been going wrong with my white cloud minnow. I am a rookie fish owner so I don't really know what is going on, nor do I know how to help him.
- pH level is at 6.5-7ish
-don't have the equipment to measure anything else like ammonium, sorry
-temperature is 27/28 degrees C
-my tank has 1 white cloud, 1 guppy, 3 neon tetras. There used to be more but a lot died.
-a month ago I noticed my white cloud had half his tail missing. Don't know if he was being bullied or he has a disease.
-I'd been slacking on water changes at this point and also feeding so I'm not sure if it made the fish aggressive.
-at the same time, I noticed one neon tetra had a growth on its mouth, that was getting progressively bigger.
-I started frequent water changes at this point, using water conditioner, purifier, and one dose of Prime.
-my white cloud had been on the brink of death, lying on one side at the top of the tank, motionless (like he couldn't stay balanced, move, or swim down -perhaps buoyancy issues?)
-I did some research and I bought and used some aquarium salts. My white cloud significantly improved, the neon tetra didn't.
-neon tetra died one day and I couldn't find his body. I am very squeamish so I didn't want to look for the body, but a few days later when I did, I literally couldn't find it -perhaps he was eaten.
-after neon tetra disappeared (leaving 3 left), my white cloud started getting worse.
here are his symptoms:
- turning black (although he'd been turning progressively darker even when he was healthy)
- his top fin seems to be shredding
- buoyancy issues are returning -leaning to one side, stays at the top of the tank, and if he swims to the bottom he can't stay and he literally gets thrown back up to the top
-he gets swept around by filter too
-he won't eat
-he has gotten literally skinnier than the neon tetras, whereas he used to be the fattest (literally had a huge belly and now its gone)
-he just kind of floats around leaning to one side, almost lifeless
-after being motionless for a while, he will randomly start franticly darting around, and then calm down.
-he hides behind the filter
- his scales look like they're molding.
I've attached 2 photos so you can see him. I really appreciate the help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0898.JPG
    IMG_0898.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 253
Hi, this thread is going to be really long if I use full sentences so I'm just going to make a list of everything that's been going wrong with my white cloud minnow. I am a rookie fish owner so I don't really know what is going on, nor do I know how to help him.
- pH level is at 6.5-7ish
-don't have the equipment to measure anything else like ammonium, sorry
-temperature is 27/28 degrees C
-my tank has 1 white cloud, 1 guppy, 3 neon tetras. There used to be more but a lot died.
-a month ago I noticed my white cloud had half his tail missing. Don't know if he was being bullied or he has a disease.
-I'd been slacking on water changes at this point and also feeding so I'm not sure if it made the fish aggressive.
-at the same time, I noticed one neon tetra had a growth on its mouth, that was getting progressively bigger.
-I started frequent water changes at this point, using water conditioner, purifier, and one dose of Prime.
-my white cloud had been on the brink of death, lying on one side at the top of the tank, motionless (like he couldn't stay balanced, move, or swim down -perhaps buoyancy issues?)
-I did some research and I bought and used some aquarium salts. My white cloud significantly improved, the neon tetra didn't.
-neon tetra died one day and I couldn't find his body. I am very squeamish so I didn't want to look for the body, but a few days later when I did, I literally couldn't find it -perhaps he was eaten.
-after neon tetra disappeared (leaving 3 left), my white cloud started getting worse.
here are his symptoms:
- turning black (although he'd been turning progressively darker even when he was healthy)
- his top fin seems to be shredding
- buoyancy issues are returning -leaning to one side, stays at the top of the tank, and if he swims to the bottom he can't stay and he literally gets thrown back up to the top
-he gets swept around by filter too
-he won't eat
-he has gotten literally skinnier than the neon tetras, whereas he used to be the fattest (literally had a huge belly and now its gone)
-he just kind of floats around leaning to one side, almost lifeless
-after being motionless for a while, he will randomly start franticly darting around, and then calm down.
-he hides behind the filter
- his scales look like they're molding.
I've attached 2 photos so you can see him. I really appreciate the help!!
BTW: I've had him for about 4 years now so it might be age related and he is just getting too old. I really have no idea though.

He either has an internal problem, TB or is starving. His belly is way sunken in.

What size tank is this?

There are a few issues here, propably not directly causing issues but still affecting the overall health of the tank. white cloud minnows require a shoal to be healthy, in the wild they live in large groups. Neon tetras are the same. Guppies are social so should have at least 2 at all times.

@Colin_T will know more about the disease I'm sure

He either has an internal problem, TB or is starving. His belly is way sunken in.

What size tank is this?

There are a few issues here, propably not directly causing issues but still affecting the overall health of the tank. white cloud minnows require a shoal to be healthy, in the wild they live in large groups. Neon tetras are the same. Guppies are social so should have at least 2 at all times.

@Colin_T will know more about the disease I'm sure

It's a 10 gallon tank. To why my fish populations are so little -I had not been adding fish recently because I found that other species were stressing the white cloud out, and plus I'm pretty sure my guppy killed all of its friends so I was kind of hesitant about getting more. My local pet store also doesn't sell white clouds anymore which is a bummer -they claimed it's now an invasive species.

His health significantly declined since writing this post earlier today, and is now actually dying -laying down at the bottom, but still breathing so he is not dead yet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to euthanize him without clove oil because I don't have any, although it'd be ideal. Thanks for trying to help anyway though. I'll do a thorough clean of the tank afterwards and buy more friends for the guppy and neon tetras.

If anyone has an idea still of what my white cloud might have had I would still really appreciate it, as it will help me understand how to prevent this from happening again.

It's a 10 gallon tank. To why my fish populations are so little -I had not been adding fish recently because I found that other species were stressing the white cloud out, and plus I'm pretty sure my guppy killed all of its friends so I was kind of hesitant about getting more. My local pet store also doesn't sell white clouds anymore which is a bummer -they claimed it's now an invasive species.

His health significantly declined since writing this post earlier today, and is now actually dying -laying down at the bottom, but still breathing so he is not dead yet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to euthanize him without clove oil because I don't have any, although it'd be ideal. Thanks for trying to help anyway though. I'll do a thorough clean of the tank afterwards and buy more friends for the guppy and neon tetras.

If anyone has an idea still of what my white cloud might have had I would still really appreciate it, as it will help me understand how to prevent this from happening again.
The next best way to euthanize is covering with a paper towel and whacking it over the head. I have not been able to bring myself to do this.

Is the fish eating?

The next best way to euthanize is covering with a paper towel and whacking it over the head. I have not been able to bring myself to do this.

Is the fish eating?
I can't bring myself to do this either, though I know it is quick an effective. I am thinking about using ice water -is that humane and if so how should I go about it? I'm not sure if euthanizing is even a good idea at this point because taking him out of the tank would induce a lot of stress, so I don't know if I should leave him there.

He hasn't been eating for days. Right now he is literally hunched on the floor of the tank, and the only sign of life is that I can still see his body taking air in and out. It's the only way I can tell he hasn't passed. There's no way I could get him to take any food right now.

I can't bring myself to do this either, though I know it is quick an effective. I am thinking about using ice water -is that humane and if so how should I go about it?

He hasn't been eating for days. Right now he is literally hunched on the floor of the tank, and the only sign of life is that I can still see his body taking air in and out. It's the only way I can tell he hasn't passed. There's no way I could get him to take any food right now.
I used to use the ice method before I found out it is inhumane. I wouldnt use that method now. Another member may be able to advise another method

I can't bring myself to do this either, though I know it is quick an effective. I am thinking about using ice water -is that humane and if so how should I go about it? I'm not sure if euthanizing is even a good idea at this point because taking him out of the tank would induce a lot of stress, so I don't know if I should leave him there.

Ice water is not humane, it's slow and painful.
Would anyone be able to do the paper towel method for you? It is suffering.

The "fat, then thin, then emaciated" could indicate internal parasites (worms).

euthanise it now.

White clouds normally live in cool water and yours is living in warm water, which means it will age faster. They are also a short lived fish and 4 years is a long life for white clouds living in a tropical tank.

You call yourself a rookie but have had the fish for 4 years. That doesn't sound right.

----------------
If you get sick fish, post pictures and ask for help asap. The sooner we see the fish, the sooner we can offer advice.

----------------
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week or two. Then do it once a week from then on.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

----------------
If you have an aggressive male guppy, do not add any more guppies to the tank.

Monitor the remaining fish and Don't get any new fish for at least 4 weeks.

If you can't bring yourself to crush the fish, clove oil is the next best method.

Clove oil can be bought at a pharmacy/drug store as it is an old fashioned remedy for toothache. It is mixed with water at the rate of 400 mg or 10 drops in a litre (1/3 gallon) of water. Shake it well to mix the oil and water then transfer to fish to the oil/water mix. Clove oil is an anaesthetic which kills in overdose so leave the fish in the mixture for 2 hours to make sure it has died.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back