Help- what is in my tank? and need in fo on Hole in the head

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ejcsw

Reaction score
I have these little things in my tank. looks like see through jellies with little tentacle's. Also, need info on hole in the head. Thanks

Could you post a pic? Does it look like hydra?

Hole in the head disease (aka head and lateral line disease) is caused by hexamita.

It occurs in cichlids that are kept in dirty environments.

Metronidazole can be used to treat it. However, you should clean the tank conditions up first and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. You should also clean the filter. You can add some salt during that time. If there's no improvement after 2 weeks of clean water and salt, then use Metronidazole.

Hole in the head disease (aka head and lateral line disease) is caused by hexamita.

It occurs in cichlids that are kept in dirty environments.

Metronidazole can be used to treat it. However, you should clean the tank conditions up first and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. You should also clean the filter. You can add some salt during that time. If there's no improvement after 2 weeks of clean water and salt, then use Metronidazole.
I have done 25% water changes. And this is my 2nd time trying API General cure. My angel is looking pretty bad. I have not been able to clean out the waste or change my filter for a few months. I have been laid up from gallbladder surgery.I used bottle water for the tank. We have ammonia in our water and had problems with it even after letting it sit for 48 hours.

How often are you doing the water changes? 25% isnt really enough

20200608_192322_Burst01.jpg
20200608_192322_Burst01.jpg

How often are you doing the water changes? 25% isnt really enough
Usually 1 a month on water change add water 2 x a month. 50 gal. Tank. Looked up on internet. Figure myabe stressed after new tank mates. So I now for two months I have had a divider in. I know this may sound crazy but I think I can see small white worms and see through jelly fish like thngs in the water. I also tride to feed the angel some seaweed and bloodworms. Like it said to in some articles. I try every 2 to 3 weeks trying to get most of the waste out of the tank.

So a 75% water change right away. Could you post a pic of the worms? It might be detritus worms or hydra.

In the future up the water changes to 50% weekly:)

So a 75% water change right away. Could you post a pic of the worms? It might be detritus worms or hydra.

Tryied to take pics of jelly things. With no luck. They are not attached to the glass.

Is there any chance you can get someone to do the water changes, gravel cleans and filter cleaning for you?

Unfortunately if the tank or filter is not really clean, you can put all the medication in and it won't make fix the problem.

No. With covid I can not be around anyone. I am not suppose to lift the gallon jugs of water. Told will be laid up maybe another month. But due to surgery they do not want to take any chamces I am auto immune as well. Id this going to affect the other fish? Is it painful for the angel? He looks pretty bad.

Tryied to take pics of jelly things. With no luck. They are not attached to the glass.
I looked up the worms it looks like very mini detritus worms just a few. But tons of the see through jelly things. They have a dome type structure with little legs. Do you know what they are?

I looked up the worms it looks like very mini detritus worms just a few. But tons of the see through jelly things. They have a dome type structure with little legs. Do you know what they are?
Do you think the angel is too far gone? I read it is almost always fatal. It does see thinner.

No idea. Sorry :(

You need to make up a long gravel cleaner to drain the tank water out the door and onto the lawn. You can do this with a 1, 1.5 or 2 litre plastic drink bottle and a length of garden hose.

Cut the bottom off a plastic drink bottle and throw the bottom bit away.
Remove the cap and plastic ring from the top of the bottle and throw those 2 bits away.
Put a garden hose in the top of the bottle and run the hose out the door onto the lawn.
Use the bottle to gravel clean the tank and drain the water out.

-------------------
Get a large plastic container (storage container, wine barrel, plastic wheelie bin) and put it near the tank. Fill the container with tap water, add dechlorinater and aerate the solution.

You can use a garden hose to fill the container but run water through the hose for a couple of minutes before filling the container. This will remove any softening agent in the hose.

After you have drained the tank, use a small water pump and some plastic hose to refill the tank. You can use an AquaClear 402 or 802 power head, some clear plastic hose and some pvc pipe for this purpose.

Make U shape out of pvc pipe.
Put some clear hose on the outlet of the power head and fit the other end to the pvc U. The U hangs over the edge of the tank and will hold the hose in place so water goes into the tank.
The power head goes in the container of dechlorinated water. You turn the power head on and let it pump water up into the tank.
When the tank is full, you turn the power head off and pack the stuff up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back