Help w/water parameters on cycled tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Katz510

Reaction score
40 gallon BREEDER.
1 blood parrot
2 bala shark
HAD silver dollar tetra (lost it) during this issue Iā€™m having)

Current filters: CASCADE 500 canister, 1 big sponge, and one HOB 30 gallon
Temperature at 78 F

So this summer I got into the fish keeping hobby. I cycled my tank in about 45 days (fishless) using pure ammonia.
I got my fishes soon after reaching 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

fishes have been fine until now.
I lost a fish out of no where which obviously made me check my water parameters. I had a reading of .25 ammonia .25 nitrites and 10-20ppm nitrates.

I immediately did around a 40% water change. The next day I realized my water was a bit cloudy so I checked my readings again and had the same as I started even after a 40% water change. I added prime and stability, my fishes look ok for now but I donā€™t wanna loose another one. What could have happened to my cycle? I am so stressed out at this point because it took me soo long to cycle and for it to just ā€œun-cycleā€ is killing me. I donā€™t want my fishes to die, or see them sick. If anyone could give me any advice please! Also PH is 6.2 when before it would be around 7.

The fish "lost out of nowhere" is much less likely a cycling issue as it is an aggression issue. You might not even see this, but it can still occur, and the Bala Sharks are probable sources of killing the Silver Dollar. Both of these fish are shoaling and need a group, but a 40g tank is no where near sufficient space for either species in a group.

Bala sharks (a barb species) attain 14 inches, some reporting up to 16 inches. This is a shoaling species with a pronounced social structure within the group, and must be maintained in groups of at least five fish. Fewer causes the fish serious stress, and will result in aggression to the point of death of subordinate fish, and/or aggression toward other species in the tank.

As for the ammonia and nitrite readings, ammonia at this low a level can occur if chloramine is added to your tap water. The nitrite could have been an abnormality like a false test or old regent. Of the death of the Silver Dollar could have triggered it though in an established tank this is next to impossible but there may be factors here thast have not been mentioned. Water changes, filter cleanings, feeding...etc.

I do about 30% water changes every two weeks which includes gravel vacuuming. Filters are cleaned once a month in old tank water. I was feeding everyday but stopped to do it every other day. I did not know balas were to be kept in groups, thanks mine are currently very small. I will consider a bigger tank once my water goes back to normal. I am still learning.... I live in NYC so my tap water is pretty safe. 0ammonia 0nitrites and 0nitrates (tested it) I do dechlorinate with Prime.

I do about 30% water changes every two weeks which includes gravel vacuuming. Filters are cleaned once a month in old tank water. I was feeding everyday but stopped to do it every other day. I did not know balas were to be kept in groups, thanks mine are currently very small. I will consider a bigger tank once my water goes back to normal. I am still learning.... I live in NYC so my tap water is pretty safe. 0ammonia 0nitrites and 0nitrates (tested it) I do dechlorinate with Prime.

Thanks for this info, now we can move ahead a bit further.

On the Bala Sharks, I really suggest you re-think these, as they need a tank that is 8 feet in length, for a group of five or a couple more than five. Perhaps taking them back to the store would be better? Unless of course you intend an 8-foot tank. Another thing on shoaling fish that develop an hierarchy like these barbs do...the group must be together from the start so they can grow as a group. Adding others even now with what seems likely occurring is not going to work.

Water changes...these must be every week at minimum, and more substantial. At least 50% of the tank, but preferably 60-70% once a week. This can help with fish aggression by diluting the chemical signals (pheromones and allomones) as water changes are the only way to remove these, but that does not mean the numbers of the species can be ignored. Everything is inter-connected in this hobby.

Never rely on advice from store staff unless you personally know the knowledge level of the individual. You don't indicate this, but it would not surprise me if you may have been diligent in asking about these fish and been totally mis-advised. It happens so often.
1577652267019.png
:(

I honestly had nooo idea about the balas so thanks a million!
As per my ammonia and nitrite problem? If Iā€™m not mistaken your advice is to do weekly water changes of 60-70% right?

I honestly had nooo idea about the balas so thanks a million!
As per my ammonia and nitrite problem? If Iā€™m not mistaken your advice is to do weekly water changes of 60-70% right?

Yes. A once-weekly 60-70% change should be standard in all tanks, but in any situation where either ammonia or nitrite are above zero, or where the fish are showing signs of distress, significant water changes are advisable. increasing the frequency to deal with ammonia/nitrite is a good move as only this will dilute. Using a conditioner that detoxifies ammonia/nitrite is also a good idea until at least the issue is resolved. Prime does this, but note that it is only effective for 24-36 hours, after which if the substance is still present it will again become toxic.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back