HELP Velvet on my Betta.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Before adding chemicals you should try to work out exactly what
A1E59287-5A20-47B3-9BC2-FBE88C3ED102.jpeg
the problem is.

Does the fish rub on objects in the tank?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the last 2 weeks?
Are there any other fish in the tank?
Do the fish in your son's tank have velvet?

If you answer no to these questions, it is highly unlikely your fish has velvet. Velvet is a protozoan parasite that irritates the skin and causes fish to rub on things in the tank, and it needs to be introduced into a tank. Unless you added something new recently from a contaminated tank, or your son's tank has velvet, it is unlikely to be velvet.

---------------------
If it is velvet, you can normally treat that by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for 3-4 weeks, or a week after the gold spots have gone.

You can use Malachite Green or copper based medications if you like but heat is generally safer.

---------------------
You don't need to add filter bacteria every water change. Once the filter is established, either add the remaining contents from the bottle or put the bottle in the fridge where children and animals can't get to it.

---------------------
If you post some more pictures of the fish it might offer more information.
If you have a picture from when you first got him, that would help too by giving us something to compare him to.
Rescued him in middle ofFeb. Someone put a filthy plastic fish bowl out in the freezing cold! The 1st picture is today, swollen eye and now scales? Missing!! 2nd picture last night bulging Right eye. The other ones are when we first got him. My husband bought Copper Power Green last night. We added it right after 100% water change. Temp of tank is 80F- raised from 78F over 2-3 hours. I feel like I am flying blind. I’m a nurse so I know an awful lot about humans but not enough about fish disease. All his tank ornaments are smooth, all plants are silk. His appetite was decreased but still eating for about 3-4 days before getting sick, and seemed a little agitated the evening before but I thought it might have been from the water change I did. Now that the copper has been added should I be soaking him in a salt solution- his eye is so swollen? Or chuck the copper and pursue a different treatment? Did I mention feeling helpless…
F3FBF553-7A05-4217-A508-A3623AF0AC61.jpeg
EE76BA65-F4DF-4CA7-844D-1C2DCE109FD1.jpeg
6DE9F11F-7EE3-425B-89A6-79F6C07EAD3C.jpeg
4200A4C3-AB5B-44EE-A6E6-7E79A1917497.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back