Help urgent betta Body Rot!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

LindaBP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is happening. A fin rot became body rot while I was away on holidays.
I knew something was wrong with the fin but I didnā€™t take action as it seemed not to develop.
I had to do so much for the tank in the last few months I have been through high levels of ammonia and ph issue and other stuff like slime algae and itā€™s so hard to understand how this other world works at times that itā€™s overwhelming. The parameters were okay now but I think all the stress of the last months had the best on him.
Now ā€¦ I am doing this treatment with tri sulfa directly in a 10 gallon tank 3rd time now in 2 weeks. I donā€™t think itā€™s working.
Someone advised me to buy Hikari Revive but not sure how it works and where to buy it!
I read Maracyn is good.
Another one said amoxicillin antibiotic?
I know in Australia where I am located no much more is available like methylene blu baths, nitrofurazone, Seachem Kanaplex, I am not sure what they are but I think they arenā€™t sold here. Iā€™ll go somewhere to see if I can still save my fish. He is 1 year old and I am not ready to let him goā€¦.
Does anyone thinks I can save him?
5AAE8863-396E-4C00-9860-532B30EF8F59.jpeg
35083E48-9B75-4DA3-AB65-A31EC905F8AB.jpeg

The area where the rays that form the dorsal fin branch out has caved in, so you may have had an infection there that ran up the rays and looked like fin rot, a condition of dirty water. Either way, that's an advanced abscess compared to the size of the fish. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that fish in a dire condition.

I agree that the fish is too far gone. Imo the only humane thing to do is euthanize the fish.

The area where the rays that form the dorsal fin branch out has caved in, so you may have had an infection there that ran up the rays and looked like fin rot, a condition of dirty water. Either way, that's an advanced abscess compared to the size of the fish. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but that fish in a dire condition.
Tell me what can I do?

Tell me what can I do?

There is a point of no return when it comes to aggressive infections like this where too much damage has been done. In my opinion your fish has reached that point, you can clearly see the bacteria has eaten away at a significant portion of his flesh.

I don't believe in needlessly letting an animal suffer because one's selfish wants and needs. One must do what is best for the animal regardless of your own feelings, which to me in this case is humane euthanasia. It might not be what you want to hear, but your fish is no doubt suffering.

So sorry for your Betta. He's handsome.

Euthanasia would definitely be an option here. Chances are this fish is not going to make it. But if you still want to try to save him you can try Seachem Kanaplex. It treats a wide range of bacterias and is one of the easiest fish antibiotics to find (atleast, here). You can either treat him on his current tank or use a quarantine tank. If you go with a quarantine tank use a swallow 1-2 gallon container and add a bubbler.

@KatieMR what are your thoughts on this one?

There is a point of no return when it comes to aggressive infections like this where too much damage has been done. In my opinion your fish has reached that point, you can clearly see the bacteria has eaten away at a significant portion of his flesh.

I don't believe in needlessly letting an animal suffer because one's selfish wants and needs. One must do what is best for the animal regardless of your own feelings, which to me in this case is humane euthanasia. It might not be what you want to hear, but your fish is no doubt suffering.
He doesnā€™t seem like suffering at the moment. Heā€™s eating, swimming he seems okay still

Euthanasia would definitely be an option here. Chances are this fish is not going to make it. But if you still want to try to save him you can try Seachem Kanaplex. It treats a wide range of bacterias and is one of the easiest fish antibiotics to find (atleast, here). You can either treat him on his current tank or use a quarantine tank. If you go with a quarantine tank use a swallow 1-2 gallon container and add a bubbler.

Thank you šŸ™ Iā€™ll try

Do you think I can find it in Australia?

Just read in your text that you can find it. That's ok. Hikari revive will do nothing. Maracyn is great. No idea about amoxicillin. Need to do some research ...

Ok. Just realized what amoxicillin is. We call it differently in greek. It could work. Treats both gram positive and gram negative bacterias. But I've never seen it available....

If the EU is the same as the UK, antibiotics are only available on prescription.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back