Help trouble after changing my water and cleaning tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Keep doing the water changes.
Do not clean your filter at all never ever...not until its plugged up or falling apart.
Just change the water.
Do big changes and get ammonia down too .25-0
That is acceptable in my opinion.
.25 will cause a little stress but better than 2.0 where you are at.
@JBAwrench. After your tank is established you do want to clean your filter cartridge in tank water every 2 weeks. Just swish it around some in a bucket of tank water. :)

Once the filter has been running for at least 6 weeks it should be cleaned regularly - once a month at the minimum. The brown goo that builds up on the media is decomposing organic matter which is broken down and ends up as nitrate in the water. We need to keep the nitrate level below 20 ppm and this can be a problem if there's a lot being made in the tank.

Clean the media by squeezing sponges or swooshing other types in the water you take out during a water change.
Once a month is too often, once a month to me says over stocking. I have not cleaned either of my tanks filter media in months.
I just wring out the pre filter on the inlets.

If you have a pre-filter that will catch most of the debris. But without a pre-filter the debris will go into the filter and cleaning becomes necessary. I have internal filters in my tank which cannot have a pre-filter so I clean my filters every 2 weeks.

@Anon_05 in case some of this seemingly conflicting information seems confusing...

Once established the beneficial bacteria is not a fragile film that is easily washed or vacuumed off. It is tightly bound to surfaces and rinsing your filter media won't wash them away. The reason for the recommendation not to do this is that in the beginning every little helps. Once established cleaning your filter regularly is good practice. Of course if you happen to have a pre-filter you are stopping physical waste from entering your filter so you have to clean the filter media less often, but the pre-filter is part of the filtration system and rinsing that weekly is effectively doing the same thing.

As for vacuuming the gravel - that too won't destroy the bacteria. Personally I would as any leftover food or detritus becomes a source of ammonia, although I understand the reasoning for saying skip it for the first few weeks.

Once a month is too often, once a month to me says over stocking. I have not cleaned either of my tanks filter media in months.
I just wring out the pre filter on the inlets.
Problem is that not everyone has pre-filters.

Of course if you happen to have a pre-filter you are stopping physical waste from entering your filter so you have to clean the filter media less often, but the pre-filter is part of the filtration system and rinsing that weekly is effectively doing the same thing.
I agree. Cleaning the pre-filter IS cleaning the filter.

Problem is that not everyone has pre-filters.
I don't, which is why I clean my internal filters regularly. All the stuff in your pre-filter is inside my filter.

Ok guys so now im confused with my filter lol, i have the Aqueon 75 filter how often should i change mines specifically?

Just so we know which filter, is this yours? https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-led-pro-aquarium-power-filters

The instructions for the Aqueon Quiet Flow 75 say it contains a carbon cartridge, a biological cartridge holster and a biomedia grid, and they say to wash the biological cartridge holder once a month when they say the carbon cartridge should also be changed. You mentioned a pre-filter, this is usually a sponge placed over the tube which takes water out of the tank. Is this what you have in addition to the media that came with the filter?

Just so we know which filter, is this yours? https://www.aqueon.com/products/filtration-media/quietflow-led-pro-aquarium-power-filters

The instructions for the Aqueon Quiet Flow 75 say it contains a carbon cartridge, a biological cartridge holster and a biomedia grid, and they say to wash the biological cartridge holder once a month when they say the carbon cartridge should also be changed. You mentioned a pre-filter, this is usually a sponge placed over the tube which takes water out of the tank. Is this what you have in addition to the media that came with the filter?

Yes that's it exactly. Hmmm i mentioned pre filter? the only thing ive changed on my aqueon 75 was the two cartridges in the back i just replaced them both but the two little mini spongy things in the front i have not yet changed

I apologise - it wasn't you that mentioned the pre-filter, it was JBAwrench. I got myself confused :blush:

You don't need to replace the cartridges. Yes, carbon does get full and stop working but you don't actually need to use carbon full time. Changing the cartridges means you throw away the bacteria on them. What a lot of people do it to replace them with sponge, any brand cut to the same shape as the cartridges, then just squeeze them in water taken out at a water change. That way you get to keep all the bacteria you have grown. Even better, cut a slit in the cartridge, empty the carbon out then put the empty cartridge bacl along with the sponge so you keep the bacteria in the filter 'bag'.

As it's a new tank, leave the filter alone for roughly 6 weeks from the start, then wash the media every 4 weeks at the most. more frequently is better. If you want to keep the carbon cartridges, swoosh them in the old tank water to get rid of the brown goo that will be on them. Sponges just need squeezing.

Yes that's it exactly. Hmmm i mentioned pre filter? the only thing ive changed on my aqueon 75 was the two cartridges in the back i just replaced them both but the two little mini spongy things in the front i have not yet changed
If you have changed the filters in the aqueon you have thrown away your cycle and all the beneficial bacteria as well by removing the cartridge.
They should not be replaced unless falling apart or clogged.

Im sorry what's a fish in cycle? sorry im a noob :(
a fish in cycle is when you cycle your tank with the fish inside the tank. cycling the tank is when you set up the tank with water and everything and wait for the bacteria to grow so the tank becomes suitable for your fish. (does that make sense?) but dude that doesn't matter your fish are being poisoned so you need to do an immediate water change NOW ASAP!! is the fake wood new?

Don't rely on big box pet shops for information. I just go there to buy dog food and plant and fish food if I run out. I have listen to the employees tell customers how to "cycle" and when it is alright to buy fish. One employee said you can buy some now. Even though the tank isn't set up. When I told the customer that is wrong I got a look from the employee. The customer bought fish anyway.that employee doesn't work there anymore. Listen to the people on this site and other sites. All of us have knowledge.

Yeah i was
Don't rely on big box pet shops for information. I just go there to buy dog food and plant and fish food if I run out. I have listen to the employees tell customers how to "cycle" and when it is alright to buy fish. One employee said you can buy some now. Even though the tank isn't set up. When I told the customer that is wrong I got a look from the employee. The customer bought fish anyway.that employee doesn't work there anymore. Listen to the people on this site and other sites. All of us have knowledge.

I agree hence im here asking you guys questions :) , thank you all so much. So here are my updated water results everyone

PH, Ammonia,Nitrite and Nitrate

The nitrite in certain angles seems to have a pinch of purple barely. Ammonia continues to get lighter than before. Nitrate has picked up some orange now, thoughts? thanks again everyone. Ph seems fine as usual.

1594858518793.png

Hello everyone im back! lol all is well my tank is finally almost cycled i have more fish now, 4 angels(including the one that survived), 4 danios and 2 rainbow fish with 0 ammonia whatsoever but my nitrite is what was a little up almost to the final purple other than that perfect water but the real issue is one of my angels laid a ton of eggs by the filter!, lol her and the mate have been so aggressive today to every fish in there its a nightmare lol not really sure what to do. I wanted to try and see if we can let the babies hatch, the mother got so strssed now she started eating them i had to bag her up...

1596084224007.png

1596084243342.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back