Help this idiot newbie

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Thank you guys.

I just want to avoid killing the other two. Iā€™m on watch all the time now. They seem active enough and interact with me when I approach the tank.

I keep the temp between 18 to 22. Using the python from the kitchen isnā€™t an option plus the outside tap is way to cold for that (based on touch).

Itā€™s a combi boiler so Iā€™m assuming Iā€™m safe.

Iā€™ve ordered some plants, hopefully theyā€™ll help.

Using the python from the kitchen isnā€™t an option plus the outside tap is way to cold for that (based on touch).
Understood. What I was suggesting was a hose to drain the tank, not to fill it. So you just attach the hose instead of this bit:
My method is to take 140l out over 14 buckets. 10l at a time. Cleaning the sand etc at the same time, mainly hoovering poop.
You can use a marker pen to indicate where 70% will drain to. Then continue with your method to fill:
I then fill up a 50l bucket to around 40l capacity add the necessary water conditioner to this and use a pond pump to pump the clean water into the tank. Temperature wise I just use my hand.
This adjustment will cut down the time and work by half. I am mindful that the 'fish-in cycle' lasts for weeks and you are shifting a lot of water over those weeks. Generally people are more likely to keep up with the water changes if it is quicker/ easier.

Yeah the current method Iā€™m using and what seems like an easier method is to pump the water out with the pond pump (out the window). I fill up the big bucket of new water 3 times which amounts to 120/130 L ish.

Update. No plants yet. But keeping up with daily 70% water changes. Chocolate and shiny seems to be doing ok. Feeding them every other day at the moment. If only I could speak fish

Well done. What are the ammonia and nitrite readings?

Itā€™s hard to tell exactly the ammonia level but I would say less than 0.25ppm. 0 on the nitrites. Not sure when Iā€™ll see a nitrite reading. Just waiting for that

I added some duckweed to the tank 2 days ago. All gone now. Thanks my fishy friends. That wasnā€™t to eat btw.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back