Help-tannins

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Plasti dip is amazing! It’s essentially aresol rubber that when you let it cure for 24 hours it’ll be perfectly tank safe. I used it on all the standing wood in my tank and no tannins have leeched at all!
Thank you. I'll see if I can get it here (UK). If not we might have something similar.

Tannin is one of the toxic substances harmful to fish. So you should know how to remove tannins from aquarium water: Activated charcoal can be used. It helps to remove the yellowish to brownish color in the aquarium and restore the pH level of the water. Alternatively, Seachem products such as Purigen and Renew can be used to counteract the discolouration effects of tannins.

Tannin is one of the toxic substances harmful to fish. So you should know how to remove tannins from aquarium water: Activated charcoal can be used. It helps to remove the yellowish to brownish color in the aquarium and restore the pH level of the water. Alternatively, Seachem products such as Purigen and Renew can be used to counteract the discolouration effects of tannins.
this is false. read literally all the posts in this thread.

Tannins are harmless. My tanks have remained stained for up to three years before the tannins reduced enough to have clear water. Don't worry.
Agree. Join the LTLT foundation (Learn To Love Tanins). A lot of fish allready did.

Tannins actually has natural intoxicants that actually benefits pretty much all the livestock in the tank.

Absolutely not harmful, I’ve had several tanks over the years where I’ve had tannins and creates nice natural dark water which I like tbh.

Btw, while this may be a thread that’s over a year old the information is still very much relevant.

One thing I’d add, one of the early posts mentions boiling wood many times over, not recommended imho as this breaks down the fibres of the wood and will cause it to disintegrate much earlier than normal.

I find the best method is to simply put wood in a clean container or tote and add a powerhead or pump and use that to create flow over the wood, change water once or twice a week and you’ll end up with very little or no tannins after, if you’re lucky, be done in a week but more likely two to three weeks or sometimes more time required if it’s brand new wood and never has been waterlogged before.

???? Tannins benefit fish... Natural ones at least like from leaves and wood

Tannin is one of the toxic substances harmful to fish.
No...it isn't.
Tannins are completely harmless and are even added to the water by aquarists to recreate tannin-rich waters of the Amazon tributaries, for example.
(Tea bags are good ways to add tannins, as are a whole plethora of tree leaves).

I'm now curious as to where you gained that info.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back