Help - Synodontis Petricola Gills

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Nemijnab

Reaction score
Hi there

New here so hope this is posted in right place.
Iā€™m a little concerned that my synodontis petricolas seem to be flashing and 2 of 3 have developed white around their gills.

For reference ammonia and nitrite are 0 and nitrates are around 15... I read the guide on disease and plan on doing 75% water changes and gravel vac, but wondering if you could help as I donā€™t think itā€™s normal!

Thanks
1ae8db8aacb4c808adf69e0a870c4abf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

I donā€™t see any white really, on the gills. Will you please try to get a close up?

It could be fungus. A fungus that grows on the outside of the fish.

@Byron seems to be an expert on Fish illnesses, he might be able to help you!

Good luck!

(Please go enter for the July TOTM contest!!) :) :thanks:

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The fish in the picture appears to have a creamy coloured film over its body. This is usually caused by poor water quality (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate), or incorrect water chemistry (pH and GH).

-----------------------
What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness), and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-----------------------
Synodontis petricola come from Lake Tanganyika and require hard alkaline water with a GH above 300ppm and a pH above 7.5.
Their natural habitat has a GH around 400 - 450ppm and a pH between 8.0 - 8.6.

If they are kept in acid water (pH below 7.0) they struggle and die.
If they are kept in soft water with a GH below 300ppm, they struggle. If the GH is very low (less than 150ppm) they can die.

Hi!

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I have been busy and itā€™s a bit late now to get a better picture of the gills but Iā€™ll try again tomorrow.

I noticed that one of my peppered corys have a silvery/white patch develop since I uploaded this one so getting more concerning.

In regards to water parameters, ph out of the tap fluctuates around 7.6-7.8 and I tested yesterday and ph in tank was 7.6.... I have to be honest Iā€™m not sure on the hardness I will have to find out...

Iā€™ve done another large water change and gravel vac today but Based on the Cory developing a small patch Iā€™m not sure the issue is being contained. I have ordered Esha 2000 - I believe safe for scaleless fish. Any advice on if I should go ahead and dose with this right away?

Also I donā€™t think there is a film over the catfish, i donā€™t see it in person the picture quality might just be a little bad

Couple of things I may add which could be useful information. I recently added a wild fish to the tank which Iā€™m now concerned wasnā€™t properly quarantined as I didnā€™t but it from a fish sore and had been imported from Brazil.

Also there was a spike in my nitrates a couple of weeks back at around 50ppm. I think I overstocked my tank a little but have since removed a few and feeding less and they nitrates stable at 10-15 at the moment.

Post a clear picture of any sick fish before treating.

Never add medications until you know what the problem is. Any chemicals you put in the tank can make the problem worse, and if the fish are stressed from a disease or poor water quality, putting chemicals in the tank could kill them.

You need to keep nitrates below 20ppm at all times, and lower is better for scaleless fishes like catfish.

The following link has information about what to do if your fish get sick. It's long and boring but worth a read when you have spare time. :)
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-gets-sick.450268/

This is probably the clearest picture Iā€™ve been able to get. This is of another fish, see the patch of white at the top....

Have read through that, thanks - did 75% change yesterday and will do the same today!

IMG_0532.jpg

The white patch on the peppered Corydoras doesn't look like a disease. It looks a bit like a piece of skin has been taken off. Monitor the white patch and if it gets worse, post another picture.

Thanks, the only thing is that 3 of them have a very similar white patch/marking in quite similar places!

Can you post pictures of the other fish with the white marking?

They might be rubbing it on something they hide under, or they might be getting bitten by the other catfish.

Monitor the fish and see how they are interacting.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back