Help! Swim bladder disease with my baby silver arowana

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It's not pH that you need to test, it's ammonia and nitrite as those are killers. Those two are must-haves for any fish keeper. pH and nitrate are useful but not as important as ammonia and nitrite testers.

Test kits seemed pricy that's why I skipped but the PH meter looks worthy, either way I will buy now so that I can save the other aros
Fishkeeping is not an inexpensive hobby; I am willing to pay to keep my fish happy and healthy.
The test kit I linked will last a very long time, as well.

It's not pH that you need to test, it's ammonia and nitrite as those are killers. Those two are must-haves for any fish keeper. pH and nitrate are useful but not as important as ammonia and nitrite testers.
Yeah, I get it I thought my water parameter was good because I have lost very little fish so I skipped them. Kits are pricy here, API master kit is ₹ 2,965.00 ($40) right now. Anyways ill buy one cus I love my arrows so much and I just lost the one I liked the most.

Test kits should be like having a license... Until you have one you can't buy fish. From what you've said you're making me think that it's not out of ignorance thst you don't have one... Which makes you completely irresponsible

Sorry matey... Just think, if you had a test you could have perhaps avoided the death of your fish because you would have seen there was an issue with your water and rectified the situation before anything serious happens to your livestock ??‍♀️ I don't like to be harsh to people but you should never skip on buying a test kit especially if you're aware of its importance

I suspect his original setup was not adequate. If he can obtain the test kit - it will likely paint a clearer picture. How he has been keeping fish for years and never knew of it's importance is beyond me but now he knows. We don't have to bash him, but it is important he understands that the kits are good equipment to have in case something like this happens.

Edit:
I just saw the video of the setup. It seems to have no filter and not enough water. This just isn't acceptable for a longtime fish keeper. Your fish need a filter, to be kept at proper temperatures (heater), and a proper environment. That flimsy netting also will not keep an Arowana from jumping clean out as it doesn't look properly secured.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect his original setup was not adequate. If he can obtain the test kit - it will likely paint a clearer picture. How he has been keeping fish for years and never knew of it's importance is beyond me but now he knows. We don't have to bash him, but it is important he understands that the kits are good equipment to have in case something like this happens.
Well said.

My apologies! I'm not the bashing kind so forgive me if that's how I came across ?

I just saw the video of the setup. It seems to have no filter and not enough water. This just isn't acceptable for a longtime fish keeper. Your fish need a filter, to be kept at proper temperatures (heater), and a proper environment. That flimsy netting also will not keep an Arowana from jumpi
Hey there is an internal power head type filter, I'm not saying it's enough as it doesn't have enough media. And about the netting, it may look not strong but it actually secured to the edge of the container, i cannot hold a 1feet aro but is more than enough for a 7 inch one.

Hey guys an update to this story, I realised that im il equipped to keep aros and didn't want the other arows to die. So gave it back to the shop from where i bought it. It even more congested there but maybe soon someone with a good setup will buy them.

Tho i miss them so much. Thanks to all those who have replied to this thread, much appreciated.

Hey there,

sometimes, even fish do "look fine" that's not always the case, Arowanas are not hardy fish meaning the slightest change can change them severely, I would clean the tub thoroughly, and feed food from the store, bugs from outside can have chemicals and germs that really hurt the fish, however you treated him right, moving into a quarantine tank and putting salt is def the correct response, keep it up!

He updated the thread twice. The ill fish quickly passed away and he returned the others in hopes they too wouldn't become ill and pass away. Arowana are not hardy and need special care and an experienced owner.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back