Help! Swim bladder disease with my baby silver arowana

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Arjun

Reaction score
I have 3 baby silver Arowana's which I keep in a large tub (don't be mad already has plans for a big pond) for now that tub is big for them. Like all of you I walk up to the tank and look at them frequently, today I looked at them just after I woke up, everyone was doing fine. After 2 hours I went for another look and noticed that one of them was acting weird and was having difficulties in swimming, not being able to balance, and is not scared to see me getting close while others go and hide. Looks like a swim bladder issue, after seeing some youtube vids I moved him to a small tub with little water just above his body, added rock salt and aeration.
Am I doing it right? Is there any chance for recovery?

Is there anything else I should do? I can't buy any kind of medication because of covid lockdown in my state! ( All pet stores are closed)

Here is a video I took after moving him.

Here is the video I took 30mins ago

He looked thin and generally unhealthy... It's impossible to know exactly what killed him. His fins are shredded too. Do you know your water parameters?

Last edited by a moderator:
He looked thin and generally unhealthy... It's impossible to know exactly what killed him. His fins are shredded too. Do you know your water parameters?
I feed him raw fish market fish like prawn and all but for 4 days now due to lockdown i couldn't buy any, he won't eat pellets also.

And I haven't checked water parameters but i thinks that should be fine, water in my location has good quality i have been keeping fish of few years now (still i need to make sure).

What i doubt is i sometimes feed him cockroaches that i find in my home, we dont use any pesticides here so i thought there is less of a risk factors. Maybe that could have caused an internal parasite???

Any idea?

What mjfromga is asking for is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness, and pH.

In the videos, there doesn't appear to be any filter in the tub, just an air stone. If there are no filter or plants, the ammonia excreted by the arowana will just build up in the water and poison it. The container in the video is way too small for an arowana except maybe for a few hours at most and any ammonia will build up quickly.

Though he claims to have moved the ill fish there, I suspect the original container was also horribly inadequate and contributed to the fishes demise. Arowana aren't exactly known for being hardy and the wrong setup will cause problems quickly.

What mjfromga is asking for is ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hardness, and pH.

In the videos, there doesn't appear to be any filter in the tub, just an air stone. If there are no filter or plants, the ammonia excreted by the arowana will just build up in the water and poison it. The container in the video is way too small for an arowana except maybe for a few hours at most and any ammonia will build up quickly.
That small tub was a hospital setup I made after seeing a youtube video so that he won't stay vertical, I changed 30% water after 5 hours after moving him into the tub. In the main tank, I have a small submersible pump with a filter and a large sponge filter, they both seem to clean the water pretty nicely. The water is always crystal clear.

Though he claims to have moved the ill fish there, I suspect the original container was also horribly inadequate and contributed to the fishes demise. Arowana aren't exactly known for being hardy and the wrong setup will cause problems quickly.
Here is the video of the main tank, video was recorded a while back when he was healthy and fine.

"Clarity" of aquarium water is fairly pointless, when considering actual water parameters.
FW fish in the wild rarely live in crystal-clear water conditions.

Do you have a test kit? If so, again, what are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and ph?

If you DO NOT have a water test kit, I urge you to purchase one ASAP, a LIQUID test kit, and post those test results on this thread.

I recommend that you do, sooner rather than later, all responsible FW fishkeepers should have one on hand at all times.
Test kits seemed pricy that's why I skipped but the PH meter looks worthy, either way I will buy now so that I can save the other aros

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back