FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Shirley Aquatics, Ripples and maidenhead aquatics are all really good fish stores in the west midlands :) depends where about you are but ripples and maidenhead have 3 or 4 stores dotted around. :good:

Shirley Aquatics, Ripples and maidenhead aquatics are all really good fish stores in the west midlands :) depends where about you are but ripples and maidenhead have 3 or 4 stores dotted around. :good:

Shirley aquatics is the store that made me want to get into the hobby.

I have Maidenhead aquatics about 5 minutes away from me in Melbicks garden centre.

There is also halls aquatic centre not far which is where I got most of my rocks and wood. Iā€™m not sure there is a Ripples near me Iā€™ll have to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, you have all been very helpful I posted the same question in some other forums and letā€™s just say I have not had a very welcome from most of them.

You have given me some great ideas for fish. Now to do a little bit of research and see whatā€™s available in my area before my tank is fully cycled.

Iā€™ll be sure to post pictures when I get my first residents.

Thank you all, I canā€™t stress how helpful you have been

I have found the members of this forum to be very helpful and quite knowledgeable. Many are extremely experienced hobbyists and their advice is always spot on. You can believe what Byron, Colin, Seangee and Deanasue say with utmost confidence. Take what I say with a grain of salt, except for the aforementioned. Very glad to have you with us.

Hi all as an update

Iā€™m thinking the following fish for my tank

Bolivian ram
Leopard Corydoras catfish
Pearl gourami
Rummy nose tetra (I know these are little more difficult)

Are these a good option? And more importantly would they make good tank mates?

Thank you all In advance

Hi all as an update

Iā€™m thinking the following fish for my tank

Bolivian ram
Leopard Corydoras catfish
Pearl gourami
Rummy nose tetra (I know these are little more difficult)

Are these a good option? And more importantly would they make good tank mates?

Thank you all In advance

I asked about tank dimensions previously and they haven't been posted, so I will assume (please correct me if I'm mistaken about this) that this tank has a length (side to side across the front) of 48 inches (120 cm).

Given that , and your soft water, the species mentioned are fine. Normally cichlids (the Bolivian Ram) and gourami are not good together but here you have two of the most peaceful species so it should work.

The Bolivian Ram is best as a solitary fish, just the one. Males are territorial, and the entire tank space will be considered his territory if you get a male. Other species are not normally bothered, but other rams could be a disaster waiting to happen.

The Pearl Gourami is nice in a group of three or five, with one male and two females, or two males and three females. These will remain in the upper half, with the Ram in the lower half so that is a good balance.

The rummynose tetras are fine, in a group of at least 15 up to 20. This tetra always does better with more, and it is a tight shoaling species.

The cories are good (you have sand I believe) in a group of 12-20. They can be one species, or a mix; if the latter, try to get 5 of a species if you can, so 15 could be three species. They chum together, but having more of each species is advisable.

Hi Byron, my apologies Iā€™m could have sworn I posted the the dimension in an earlier comment. My dimensions are W 116cm, H 60cm, D 38cm.

Thank you for the info some on also suggested keeping Bentosi tetra for contrasting colour.

Hi Byron, my apologies Iā€™m could have sworn I posted the the dimension in an earlier comment. My dimensions are W 116cm, H 60cm, D 38cm.

Thank you for the info some on also suggested keeping Bentosi tetra for contrasting colour.

Assuming this refers to Hyphessobrycon bentosi, fine; a group of 8-9. This is one of the most strikingly beautiful species in this "rosy" clade as it has been called. Gender differentiation is easy with this species; males have an elongated black dorsal fin that drapes down past the adipose fin over the caudal peduncle, while females have a small dorsal with a more prominent white upper tip and are rounder in the body. The white tips of the ventral and anal fins are absent in this species. Keeping an even ratio of males and females will provide for continual displays by the males with fully extended dorsals, much like the closely-related Black Phantom Tetra and Rosy Tetra. This species remains in the mid-lower range.

Dimensions are fine for what I've suggested in post 20 and here.

Would you recommend any invertebrates with these fish ?

Would you recommend any invertebrates with these fish ?

You could have small snails (pond, bladder, Malaysian Livebearing) as a clean-up crew. If you like freshwater shrimp I believe there are some that manage in soft water, but other members will have to advise on this as I have never had shrimp. Shrimp might get eaten.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back