Help! silvertip being extremely nipped at and bullied by bloodfins...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
most of you know by now, i have a tank full of bloodfin and silvertip tetras, the bloodfins are only mean to the silvertips, not the other bloodfins. there is one silvertip that has had a lot of his/her tail nipped off/on. i tried to put it in a hospital tank, but it just schooled/swam away with the other fish like they weren't attacking it at all (i coulden't catch it) . it seems like its always trying to hide from or trying to befriend the bloodfins, i feel bad because they just chase and nip him/her more. he/she hides in the plants, behind driftwood, behind the filter or heater, or swimming above the betta leaf i have in my tank. i have hides but he/she doesn't hide in them.

help, please!

What is the tank size? How long has it been set up? How many of each of the tetras, and how long have they been together?
I assume the tank is cycled and established?

What is the tank size?
10 gallons (upgrading to my 47 very soon)
How long has it been set up?
its been running for 2 months and have had fish for one
How many of each of the tetras,
3 bloodfin and 2 silvertip
and how long have they been together?
forever, they were in the same tank at the pet store, but the nipping only started around a week ago
I assume the tank is cycled and established?
yep

The problems are fairly obvious, if they haven't been pointed out already in another of your threads:

1. This tank is much too small for either of these tetras; the ST's need AT LEAST 20 gallons per shoal, the RE's need AT LEAST 28G per shoal.

2. Each fish needs to be in large groups, at least 8, 10 better....the redeyes particularly, they are aggressive and nippy, and need other members of their own to spread that aggression.

If you are waiting on upgrading to a larger tank, the best thing for now to help the bullied tetra is to add more cover of any kind, if the tank is not heavily planted....cheap, plastic fake plants work well for this

,The problems are fairly obvious, if they haven't been pointed out already in another of your threads:

1. This tank is much too small for either of these tetras; the ST's need AT LEAST 20 gallons per shoal, the RE's need AT LEAST 28G per shoal.
yep, my mom though it was a 20 gallon and bought 5 neon tetras (that got eaten) 3 female bettas, a BN pleco (she dident know they grow up to 1 foot) and three silvertips, and 3 bloodfins :) my 47 would be setup and full of fish, but my mom says it HAS to be on a stand. my dad is going to build one, but i dont think anything would hold it, its like, 400 pounds. i have a 12 gallon bin that i use as a tank, could i put the blood fins (or ST in there?
2. Each fish needs to be in large groups, at least 8, 10 better....the redeyes particularly, they are aggressive and nippy, and need other members of their own to spread that aggression.
ik, i was gonna get more, mom said no more intill the 47 is setup. by redeyes do you mean bloodfins? now looking at them they look more like buenos aries, smh

Sorry for the error, not sure why I read "redeyes" when you mentioned bloodfins...but the same strategy applies.
For now, I would just put in as many fake plants as possible, make it hard for ANY chasing or harassing to occur, instead of moving the fish...silk plants are fine, but don't spend alot of $ for this temporary fix.

Have your Dad look at the attached photo, it is a very simple but extremely sturdy stand design, made from 2X4's and 2X6's....it can be made to any size specifications you wish, the design doesn't change...you will want the top rectangle to match the exact dimensions of the 47G tank...and, you will use a foam board between the tank and the stand, in case the stand has any imperfections, it will not affect the integrity of the filled tank...I made mine very inexpensively, wood screws and wood glue...you can paint it, and apply walls and doors, or just leave open, as I did mine

Attachments

• base.JPG
    base.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 37
Sorry for the error, not sure why I read "redeyes" when you mentioned bloodfins...but the same strategy applies.
For now, I would just put in as many fake plants as possible, make it hard for ANY chasing or harassing to occur, instead of moving the fish...silk plants are fine, but don't spend alot of $ for this temporary fix.

Have your Dad look at the attached photo, it is a very simple but extremely sturdy stand design, made from 2X4's and 2X6's....it can be made to any size specifications you wish, the design doesn't change...you will want the top rectangle to match the exact dimensions of the 47G tank...and, you will use a foam board between the tank and the stand, in case the stand has any imperfections, it will not affect the integrity of the filled tank...I made mine very inexpensively, wood screws and wood glue...you can paint it, and apply walls and doors, or just leave open, as I did mine
ok, tysm!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back