Help! Sick Flamingo Honey Gourami

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AnonyMissJ

Reaction score
I got home about twenty minutes ago, saw my Flamingo Honey Gourami laying on the tank floor, breathing a bit heavily but not very heavily. I tested the water immediately, which is Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate looks close to 0, which is surprising and not good. Tank is 20g fw planted, established at this apartment for almost 6 months, was at my mom's for a year before I moved. The tank mates of 3 Hatchets (1 Silver 2 Marbled) appear fine and normal. They get a diet of frozen and pellets (Spectrum). I usually feed frozen for 1-2 weeks and then feed pellets for 1 week. This week has been pellets. Changed water yesterday, as I do every Sunday.

I've noticed an odd dark spot in the upper back of the Gourami for a few weeks, but he was acting fine, and I wonder if that has to do with why he isn't doing well. When I was getting water from the tank to test it, he did bob to the surface (swimming sluggishly but trying, like he's too heavy for himself to keep afloat) to see if it was food. Good sign?

Here is a picture (sorry for the cell phone quality) I took minutes ago, notice the dark spot on his back and his belly looks a bit dark and full as well:

587215298_2088454111_0.jpg

Please help! My poor baby =(

Er, no, no idea what might be wrong with the little chap, sorry..

You could try a water change; even if your stats look good, we can't test for everything, unfortunately, and as it's come on soon after a change there could have been something in the water.

You could also try; lowering the water level so he doesn't have to stuggle so much; turning the heater up a few degrees; don't feed for a day or two and then try him on some lightly cooked, shelled peas; add a little tonic or aquarium salt if you can get any (don't use table salt)

Hope he gets well soon...

Thanks, Fluttermoth, for replying. Does that happen, things get into the water that normally wouldn't so this could suddenly come on? So far, the other fish still look normal (knock on wood). I have him in shallow water in the measuring cup still with a small airstone on low in there. The heat is at 80 now.
Thank you for your sympathy, I hope he gets well, too.

Er, no, no idea what might be wrong with the little chap, sorry..

You could try a water change; even if your stats look good, we can't test for everything, unfortunately, and as it's come on soon after a change there could have been something in the water.

You could also try; lowering the water level so he doesn't have to stuggle so much; turning the heater up a few degrees; don't feed for a day or two and then try him on some lightly cooked, shelled peas; add a little tonic or aquarium salt if you can get any (don't use table salt)

Hope he gets well soon...

Well, it doesn't often happen, but yes, stuff that we don't/can't test for does sometimes get into the water, especially at weekends when there are less people working in the pumping stations etc.
Many people I know don't do water changes on weekends for that reason.

Aw, I didn't know that. That's disappointing, but not surprising. =( My other fish appear fine, though, so I don't think that's what it is. Unless the poor Gourami was somehow more susceptible? He's still hanging in, but I'm so worried about him and I feel so bad having to keep him in that little space. I changed some of the water in it this AM (just poured some out and added more tank water), so hopefully that freshened things up for him a bit.

Well, it doesn't often happen, but yes, stuff that we don't/can't test for does sometimes get into the water, especially at weekends when there are less people working in the pumping stations etc.
Many people I know don't do water changes on weekends for that reason.

Unfortunately, my sweet Gourami passed on yesterday. Thank you to those who took the time to reply; your help and advice was much appreciated.

Oh, I am sorry :(

R.I.P little chap :byebye:

Sorry for your loss.
R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back