Help Sexing Rams?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently purchased these rams from a new fish shop near me. Unfortunately the smaller which i thought was female that she caught has a bit of a nipped fin, but will be fine given time in my tank with just cardinals and ottos

Please could people help sexing these, i believe they are german rams? they were sold as assorted ram. I have read a few ways in sexing rams but cannot work it out, in fact the information i have found would suggest the opposite to what i thought, and the large fish is female and the small male? Below show the pcitres and the large ram in pictures i believed to be male and the other photos to be the female?

Picture 1
IMG_4402.jpg

Picture 2
IMG_4404.jpg

Picture 3 & 4 - Female?
IMG_4424.jpg

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4429.jpg

IMG_4427.jpg

Thanks!

I uld say they are all males but the seconnd last pic the one on the right looks slightly like a female the rest are males

I uld say they are all males but the seconnd last pic the one on the right looks slightly like a female the rest are males

I read somewhere about the blue spots on the black spots meaning it is female? But both of these have this?

I read somewhere about the blue spots on the black spots meaning it is female? But both of these have this?

I found this website and photos to illustrate the difference, which would suggest they are females - although my large ram has three long spikes on its top fin like the male?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/germanblueram.php

The large ram is male, a few longer fins along the top of his body is a giveaway. Smaller ones are females. The bellies of females turn red in breeding season also, that might not be too far away.

The large ram is male, a few longer fins along the top of his body is a giveaway. Smaller ones are females. The bellies of females turn red in breeding season also, that might not be too far away.

The large one is displaying a red nose if that means anything? Whilst the smaller has some pinkish markings near it stomach....?
I think im unsure still on the larger....
Does anyone know much about breeding? will they show courtship? they hang around mostly...

hexy said:
Jay-93 said:

The large one is displaying a red nose if that means anything? Whilst the smaller has some pinkish markings near it stomach....?
I think im unsure still on the larger....
Does anyone know much about breeding? will they show courtship? they hang around mostly...

I have five GBR's, 1 male and four females. What I observed is that the male picks one female and they are then almost inseparable. Getting a pair to bond seems to be more difficult than getting them to breed from what i have learned, this is why they are better to buy in pairs. My pair lay eggs at least once a week, they are currently on about their 6th batch, but it apparently takes them a few goes to get things right before they stop eating them. Once laid, they protect the eggs quite aggressively, but do not appear to harm the other fish. They like to have a relatively smooth surface which they clean immaculately before the female lays her eggs on it, the male then fertilises them. They take it in turns fanning the eggs and there is always one in situ to ensure the eggs safety. This is only my personal experience, but if you have a male and female hanging out together most of the time, especially in a particular spot, then chances are they have paired.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back