Help Selecting fish for my 80L Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

GreenGuy

Reaction score
Can I keep Neon Tetra's and a Honey Gourami together? Or will the tetras nip at the gourami?
And will the Honey Gourami eat my plant? I am not sure what plant I have, but its quite large and grows well without sunlight

Neon tetras should not be nippy. Get a decent size shoal all at the same time and aim for a balanced male/female ratio. Some members have reported problem neons but I suspect they have "gone rogue" due to severe stress at some point in their lives, maybe being without a shoal? Anyway, mine are very peaceful, as are my honey gourami. My honey gourami don't eat my plants, they just peck at biofilm.
Do you have/ intend any other fish? What is the GH and temperature of the 80 litre?

Neon tetras should not be nippy. Get a decent size shoal all at the same time and aim for a balanced male/female ratio. Some members have reported problem neons but I suspect they have "gone rogue" due to severe stress at some point in their lives, maybe being without a shoal? Anyway, mine are very peaceful, as are my honey gourami. My honey gourami don't eat my plants, they just peck at biofilm.
Do you have/ intend any other fish? What is the GH and temperature of the 80 litre?
I currently have 6 neon tetras in a small 5 gallon tank, which i plant to move into the tank, can I move these before I add the others, or do they need to be at the same time?
I plan on adding some(6) zebra danios, and a few corydoras as well

I plan on setting the temperature around 24 celsius, but im not sure of the GH

I currently have 6 neon tetras in a small 5 gallon tank, which i plant to move into the tank, can I move these before I add the others, or do they need to be at the same time?

Have a look on your water suppliers website. If youā€™re on a well do a test. Oh and welcome.
Wouldā€™ve possibly been out in Oz again last Xmas if C19 hadnā€™t been around. Where are you? You donā€™t have to say btw but thereā€™s a lot of Aussies on here and they may be of help.

Have a look on your water suppliers website. If youā€™re on a well do a test. Oh and welcome.
Wouldā€™ve possibly been out in Oz again last Xmas if C19 hadnā€™t been around. Where are you? You donā€™t have to say btw but thereā€™s a lot of Aussies on here and they may be of help.
I'm on tank water so i think it would be neutral? im in southern queensland if anybody nearby knows the rain water quality

I would forget danios with honey gourami. The danios are active swimmers and this does not sit well with sedate fish like gourami. The neon tetras should pose no problems, but I would get more of them just as "insurance." Say 9-10. The cories will be fine, a similar-sized group maybe 8-9; sand substrate though.

I would forget danios with honey gourami. The danios are active swimmers and this does not sit well with sedate fish like gourami. The neon tetras should pose no problems, but I would get more of them just as "insurance." Say 9-10. The cories will be fine, a similar-sized group maybe 8-9; sand substrate though.
ah ok
whats another schooling fish that could go well with the gourami?

I remember seeing one at my LFS that i liked but I couldn't remember the name of, it was black(?) with an bright orange tick on it

Your Tap water should be very soft GH (2-3)and KH (2-3)and PH between 7-8ppm.
Well water is usually close to 0 GH -0 KH, depending how it's collected. But most people around have very soft water, tap or tank.

ah ok
whats another schooling fish that could go well with the gourami?

I remember seeing one at my LFS that i liked but I couldn't remember the name of, it was black(?) with an bright orange tick on it
attached is the photo of the fish
1623722386762.png

yes SEQ but i run on tank water not the council one
Ok. You'll have to test it. but should be quite soft GH and KH.
Council water is mostly rain water collection hence very soft.
Most people in SEQ have to dose with mineral salts as there isn't much in the water for fish or plants; from people I've spoken too. I doze with Seachem equlibrium

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back