Help Save My Fish!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Llegmore

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a small tank in which I keep a (forgotten his scientific name) a very, very small bottom feeder and a guppy (who isn't really a guppy because she's grown to be 2 inches long) :crazy: My tank was loooking drab with only these two in it so I bought yesterday ten green neons. I introduced them properly but within two hours, one had died of definately natural causes. I fished him out (excuse the pun) and disposed of him. In the morning, two more had passed to fishy heaven and I think I saw a little blood on the body of one. Could my giant guppy have killed them? Or is there a disease like tetra disease (I couldn't see anything unusual on the bodies.) I do have live plants in the tank, but I am certain that temperature and pH was good. They were even eating. I trust the fish shop I bought them from but they were in a large community tank so disease could have been present. I do not have another tank, not even a critter keeper so I need some advice please.
Thanks in advance.

Sounds to me like the filter (which I'm assuming was cycled) before you added the new fish has gone into a mini cycle as it is not capable of handling the additional load. I'm pretty sure I have read that you should never double the ammount of fish in one go, otherwise the increased levels of ammonia will not be handled by your filter.

You had a small bottom feeder(I'll guess 2 inch) and a 2 inch guppy = 4 inch, and have added 10 neons (I'll guess 1 inch) = 10 inch which is a large increase and I imagine you have a large ammonia spike which is potentailly lethal to all of you fish.

What are your current water stats?

Ammonia
Nitrite
PH

I would perform a large water change as a matter of urgency, get your water tested and keep performing water changes (dechlorinated) to ensure both ammonia and nitrites remain under 0.25 parts per million. Hopefully your filter will catch up quickly and get these values down to 0 which is where they should be.

Good luck.

would be good if you could positively identify the fish you have in the tank so we can tell you if they will cause you problems in the future considering your tank size.

can u describe ur so called guppy??? if spossible include a pic..anw i think ur tank has gone into a mini cycle, u should just buy about 2-3 fishes each time only..unless u have like 3 filters in ur tank..anw i would preform a 40% water change now and 10% water change everyday for about a week..also pls give us ur tank stats.without them its ard to make assumptions..

good luck :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hold up, i thought you have a broken 80galllon and a small betta tank :huh:
How much litres is the tank and also stats would be helpful :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back