Help Reinforcing 10 Gallon Tank Stand?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

coolfishguy12

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just got a new table to hold my fish tank. It wasn't made for a fish tank so I'm paranoid that it is going to fail. I've had it on there for about a week and I'm convinced the left side is bowing out. For peace of mind, I'd like to reinforce it. My idea was to put a single 2x2 at the back under each shelf (so a total of 4 2x2's). I'd secure them with screws on either side.

Do you think this would sure up the stand? Do you have any better suggestions I could try?

rARjP6Q.png

That should hold a ten gallon safely. I don't use stands for anything under four feet (don't have the furniture). All my desks and dressers and bedside tables have tanks on them and they are usually the sort of furniture you bring home in a box. I don't see where you think it's bowing (unless you mean the tank is bowing), but it should be perfectly fine.

If you really want to be sure, reinforce under the table top and then going the same direction by the feet. You could also thicken the shelf dividing line.

A long straight edge will verify if it is bowing. Get a 3 foot level of something similar and check for alignment. The pic makes it look like it is bowing in the middle at the top. I thought it was the image at first but it appears the tank is straight. A good stiff piece of wood that is the size of the top of the furniture should prevent any more bowing at the top. This will transfer the weight to the corner posts. It does look like the left side has bent out a bit. It looks like there is unfinished wood showing in the back corner and at the front edge of the middle shelf. A couple screws from the outside at each shelf should bring that back in for you. Do that for both sides. I would try to do it without the tank on there.

Hey all, ended up putting some wood screws in the sides and some L-brackets on each of the shelves. Also put a cross brace in the back.

Here are the screws in the sides at each shelf. I’m going to put another bit of stain on them tonight, the pic makes it look like they are a lot more noticeable than they actually are.

euj5Ptw.png

The following two are shots of the L-Brackets I put on each shelf. I had to use decorative ones on the base of the shelve to hide them. The ones on top are fine because you can't see them unless you look inside the shelf.

4luMZFT.png

SLpWOGO.png

Here is a pic of the cross brace I put in the back. It’s a 1x2 piece of wood running from the top corner to the bottom opposite corner.

Rp6idvx.png

The finished product! Much sturdier than before.

rPG0h7C.png

Bonus pic of the kitty cat who seemed a little too curious with the tank on the floor. Had to keep it there while I was repairing the stand.

9OfNz9P.png

What about the top? That vertical piece is probably not there for support of heavy objects. Unless that top is very hard wood, it will bow, if it hasn't already. Which it looks like it has. The weight of the tank is between the side support structure and the top probably needs some reinforcement to bear the extra weight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back