Help reading test result.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jadzir

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
In the process of doing my fishless cycle.
Just want peoples opinion on what number my nitrite reading is at.
Thanks
B38BFBE4-F9B4-4544-B1E5-39882B5AD7C9.jpeg

What was your ammonia? Mine was 2.5 today but nitrites still too high for the next dose, just like you.
First I mistakenly sampled for ammonia with the syringe I use to add ammonia to the tank. I clearly hadn't washed it out well enough as the ammonia level came back as 8+ ! I thought Jadzir will be cycled well before me!

What was your ammonia? Mine was 2.5 today but nitrites still too high for the next dose, just like you.
First I mistakenly sampled for ammonia with the syringe I use to add ammonia to the tank. I clearly hadn't washed it out well enough as the ammonia level came back as 8+ ! I thought Jadzir will be cycled well before me!
My ammonia is at 0.
The nitrites are dropping but very slowly.
Have been at 0 ammonia for two tests now following snack dose.
Can't wait to be finished with cycling to move onto the next phase. :fish:

Hi, bad result. Nitrites must be undetectable, being <0.01 mg/l. Time to do huge waterchange(s). Keep in mind new water must at the same temp. as water tank.

Hi, bad result. Nitrites must be undetectable, being <0.01 mg/l. Time to do huge waterchange(s). Keep in mind new water must at the same temp. as water tank.
I thought when doing a fishless cycle you followed the instructions: add test dose of ammonia when results get sufficiently low, otherwise you are depriving the nitrifying bacteria of the 'food' they need to multiply.

I thought when doing a fishless cycle you followed the instructions: add test dose of ammonia when results get sufficiently low, otherwise you are depriving the nitrifying bacteria of the 'food' they need to multiply.
? ? ? ?
You really should let Mother Nature make the job !

I am following the guide on the forum.

If this was a fish-in cycle, a water change would be very important. But as there are no fish in the tank, a water change does not need to be done until the cycle has finished. The only time a water change is needed during fishless cycling is if the pH crashes, or it gets stuck for a long time - in the last case, for some reason a water change often gets it going again.

Same here. I'm not sure why Avel1896 was advocating a water change :/
Decided to do a test today. Very glad I did.
Ammonia is 0 and nitrites have dropped to 0.
Didn’t believe the nitrite one so did a second test and 0 again.
No water changes involved.
Added snack dose on day 19.
So has taken seven days for nitrites to drop.
Full dose of ammonia added so time for daily testing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back