Help! Random Baby!

Bluesand1313

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I felt really bad for the fish in my mothers tank, she had two neon tetras, two black skirts, and one Cory catfish. So last night I went out and I bought four neon tetras and another Cory catfish for her tank.

While I was floating the bags in the tank, I noticed in the neon tank that there was something floating around, or so I thought. Turns out I brought home a little fry with me!
I put him in the tank thinking maybe he'll survive, since I know nothing about raising fry. So for he's made it but it's just been a few hours early and he's SUPER TINY!
I have baby fish food but I don't want my other fish to just gobble it up so I just crushed their regular food really super tiny, found where he was, and watched him eat. He seems to eat the really really tiny pieces just fine.
One of the bigger neons went to eat him but he's really super speedy and loses them quickly. Then one of the black skirts went to eat him, he scooted away, and it freaked the black skirt out so he dashed to the other side of the tank, lol. Here's a chance he could actually survive.

Anyways, I have no idea what I have in my hands here! I think the neons were in with the guppies, in which case I'm pretty sure he's a guppy fry. If he does grow, I guess I'll find out. Right now he's just clear and really tiny so you can't really see any fin types.
I'm rooting for the little guy but I have no idea what to do. Just let nature take its course? Please help!

I also apologize for any typos, I'm typing fast on my iPad no it's 2am so I'm pretty tired.

Apart from ensuring that the fry eats, there is very little you can do to save it. If you have some decent hiding places in the tank, it may survive, in which case, yay. THe chances are, though, that it will end up as a protein snack for one of the other fish sooner or later, so you'd best prepare yourself for that eventuality.

Goggy said:
cant she try to move it to a smaller cup or something?
No; fry are even more sensitive to water conditions than adult fish and ,in a small container, the water would soon become polluted.

It could go in a breeding trap or large net inside the main tank for a week or two, until it's a bit bigger, but even then, you need to change the water every day.

I second the net idea. I'd use a net inside of the tank so he can't be eaten but can still swim and eat for himself

If I can find him, I might do the net idea. I have a feeling he may have ended up a snack in the middle of the night but i'll keep checking through the day, since he's so tiny and sometimes it's just really hard to spot him. I mean, it's easy to mistake him for unfinished food!

Let us know how he fared. I saw a breeding net box in walmart yesterday and it was only a few dollars. I've also used my regular fish net to net a fish and set the lid down on it to keep it straight in the water at the surface. It's worked in keeping a fish corralled when i had a few not doing well

I havent seen him in a few days so i'm pretty sure somebody gobbled him up during the night. It's a shame, I was ready to help him. But I guess thats just what happens :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back