Help! Pleco looks ill.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Melon

Reaction score
Hi

Advice needed please.

My pleco has a large portion of skin on his back that has peeled off.

At first I thought it could be slightly burned as he mostly hides behind the heater. But as its worsened I fear it could be an infection.

I am adding rock salt to the tank regularly, doing water changes as normal, and adding some medicine solution that I previously bought for another fish's infection.

Poor guy. It makes me feel horrible for him.

What do you guys suggest, please?

Thanks

Attachments​

• 20210114_225724.jpg

Attachments

• 20210114_225724.jpg
    20210114_225724.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 55
I’m no pleco expert, but there may be some possible causes. What are your tanks parameters? What tank mates does the pleco have? Are there any sharp ornaments that he could have injured himself on? Is this injury from today, or is it older?

I have found an article on heater burns with a quick search. I can’t see clearly from the image what your pleco’s injury looks like, so perhaps you can compare the descriptions with your own observations. If the heater is the cause, it might be worthwhile to invest in a heater guard (that is just an example, not a particular recommendation).

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for your response.

The tank is 94 litres. About 60cm cubed.

I've had the pleco since the start of my aquarium set up in July. He has often snuggled behind the heater. But as he's growing maybe he is too close and contacting heater surface.

His tank mates are all small tropical fish. Much smaller than him.

There are a few ornaments in the tank. But nothing that I believe are harming him.

Attachments

• 20210116_132147.jpg
    20210116_132147.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 55

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back