🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

zoejohnston42

Reaction score
My gourami has a strange mark on his side I am new to fish and don't understand

Attachments

• IMG_20200119_193648.jpg
    IMG_20200119_193648.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 68
How long has this tank been set up? is it cycled?

It could possibly be ammonia burn by the looks of it.

Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite readings will help.

What size tank and what other fish are in it.

It is 65 litre tank I have 2 guppies , 4 danios another gourami who seems okay I have 2 plecos and 2 corydoras the tank has been up for around 6 weeks now it is cycled

Are you certain it is cycled? At 6 weeks it may or may not be fully cycled. Readings of ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite will help determine.

What kind of plecos do you have? Some grow to massive sizes and even the smaller ones are too big for your tank.

Think you can post a picture of the tank and fish?

Please give us your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings. We can’t help you otherwise. Looks like he scraped himself on something but need readings to be sure it isn’t water quality issues. If it s an injury then daily water changes of 75% for a week should help.

Are you certain it is cycled? At 6 weeks it may or may not be fully cycled. Readings of ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite will help determine.

What kind of plecos do you have? Some grow to massive sizes and even the smaller ones are too big for your tank.

Think you can post a picture of the tank and fish?
They are bristlenosed plecos
my nitrate readings and nitrite reading are both zero I am still waiting for my ammonia test kit to come

Attachments

• IMG_20200122_084959.jpg
    IMG_20200122_084959.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 48
Since nitrate is end result of the cycle, the will be a buildup of nitrate. The trick is to keep it under 15. Your nitrates cannot be zero in a cycled tank especially without plants.

I'd say with confidence that your test is inaccurate. What kit are you using? The liquid test kits are by far most trustworthy.

Either way, if you haven't already do a big water change.

I'd say with confidence that your test is inaccurate.
Or the tank is not cycled. The ammonia testing should answer that question. But until you have that answer do that big water change

I did a big water tank change on Sunday which resulted in the strange mark, I don't think my tank is cycled what exactly do you mean by cycled?

The mark could also be a fight mark, gouramis can be territorial so having two in a tank of that size could lead to skirmishes.
Also for future reference plecos produce alot of waste far more than algae they eat. Plecos are also territorial and having two in one tank with limited room isnt usually a good idea as they will also scuffle over territory and while they dont bite they do have sharp barbs on their faces to defend themselves with. While bristlenose are considered dwarf plecos they get about 6 inches long so fully grown that 12 inches of fish who are heavy polluters in 17 gallons of water. One is just asking for trouble.
Coreys also are a shoaling species that are very social and should be kept in groups of 5-6 atleast,
I realize your question was about cycling but even when ypur tank is cycled with the current stock of your tank is going to lead to more problems in your tank.
Take one of the gouramis back, take one of the plecos back if not both and get a few more cories and you should have less problems over the long run and have happier healthy fish.
Good luck!

Last edited:
It looks like an injury (scrape/fight mark) to me. Do as @Deanasue instructed with the 75% daily water changes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back