Help please :/

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Victoria BANKS

Reaction score
Hi there. Just wondering if anyone has experienced good or bad with black widdow tetra and silver dollars? We have a 200litre tank with community fish and have 2 black widdow tetra and 2 silver dollars. Instead of them being with their own, ours seem to have paired up with the other if that makes sense. Sometimes it looks like the widdow swims.wherever the dollar is so any move they make the windows make too. I'm unsure whether they're being friendly playing or of they're pestering the silver dollars. I've searched high and low online but havent found anything whatsover. Any advice appreciated :)

It is probably because you don't have enough of them. They are both shoaling species, which means they need a group pf at least 6 of the same, and when there aren't enough some fish will try to shoal with any other fish in the tank.

In a 200 litre tank you could easily have 10 or so black widows (also known as black skirt tetras). But you need to be aware that your tank is too small for adult silver dollars. They need a tank at least 180 x 37.5 x 37.5 cm - and at least 5 of them.

It is probably because you don't have enough of them. They are both shoaling species, which means they need a group pf at least 6 of the same, and when there aren't enough some fish will try to shoal with any other fish in the tank.

In a 200 litre tank you could easily have 10 or so black widows (also known as black skirt tetras). But you need to be aware that your tank is too small for adult silver dollars. They need a tank at least 180 x 37.5 x 37.5 cm - and at least 5 of them.

Thanks for that. They're all just babies nye on so real small at the minute and we will be upping the size of the tank again as they grow. In the mean time do you think the widdow is trying to tire out the silver dollar or play. So scared of waking in the morning to one of them being dead :(

Yeah, for a school you really need at least 6, preferably more.

There is more here. These two species should not be together; the Black Widow Tetras are known fin nippers, and Silver Dollars will eventually become the target (if not already). As the SD need much more space, they should be removed ASAP and re-homed. Even if you do not observe nipping, the fish send out chemical signals and this can stress out the SD. The odd behaviour you mention could be a part of this development.

As for the BW Tetras, this is a fin nipper risk, so you may want to reconsider this species. In a group of 9-10 they might be OK, though they can never be combined with slow or sedate fish, or fish with long fins. Only more active fish.

I've managed to get 2 more small black widdow tetra however so far 3 hours later they havent entertained the new members I've added. Do you think they might just take time?

QUOTE="essjay, post: 3844609, member: 26926"]It is probably because you don't have enough of them. They are both shoaling species, which means they need a group pf at least 6 of the same, and when there aren't enough some fish will try to shoal with any other fish in the tank.

In a 200 litre tank you could easily have 10 or so black widows (also known as black skirt tetras). But you need to be aware that your tank is too small for adult silver dollars. They need a tank at least 180 x 37.5 x 37.5 cm - and at least 5 of them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah we will be changing when they start growing. My message should have said another 5 widdows to add however not 2 sorry!

I've managed to get 2 more small black widdow tetra however so far 3 hours later they havent entertained the new members I've added. Do you think they might just take time?

QUOTE="essjay, post: 3844609, member: 26926"]It is probably because you don't have enough of them. They are both shoaling species, which means they need a group pf at least 6 of the same, and when there aren't enough some fish will try to shoal with any other fish in the tank.

[/QUOTE]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back