Help Please.....Tumor?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Brittany Borden

Reaction score
Hello,

I have an orange Platy who has developed what seems like overnight a large tumor.
I noticed when I was adding two new guppies to the tank.
I took a picture to the local fish store the first day I noticed and they didnā€™t know what it was so they gave me a cure all.
I put him in a hospital tank and treated him for 5 days and nothing happened.
I then tried a iodine treatment for three days as I read some tumors can be cured with iodine. This also did not work.

The fish appears to be in good spirits. Moves around just fine and eats well but Iā€™m scared itā€™s in pain and I donā€™t know what to do?
Is there a fix?
Can I put him back in my tank and let him live out his life?
Is he in pain?

My tank is 20 gallons
Planted
I do 25% water changes once a month.
Amonia = 0
Nitrate = 0
Nitrite = 0
Hardness = 150
Chlorine = 0
Alkalinity = 150
PH = 7.5

Attachments

• D1316739-19DE-4056-AFDC-46467F346B15.jpeg
    D1316739-19DE-4056-AFDC-46467F346B15.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 161
Tumours don't normally appear overnight and most take weeks or months to appear. If the lumpy stuff appeared overnight, then it's unlikely to be a tumour.

As to what the lumpy stuff is, it could be bacterial or something else.

You can post some more pics and a short video and it might provide more info, but if you tried a broad spectrum medication and it made no difference, then I would just monitor the fish and if it has trouble swimming, or stops eating, then euthanise it.

---------------------------
You need to do water changes and gravel clean the substrate more often. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate once a week. If you live in a dry climate and have water restrictions, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a fortnight.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

Tumours don't normally appear overnight and most take weeks or months to appear. If the lumpy stuff appeared overnight, then it's unlikely to be a tumour.

You can post some more pics and a short video and it might provide more info, but if you tried a broad spectrum medication and it made no difference, then I would just monitor the fish and if it has trouble swimming, or stops eating, then euthanise it.

You need to do water changes and gravel clean the substrate more often. I recommend doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate once a week. If you live in a dry climate and have water restrictions, do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate once a fortnight.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

Thank you for your time, much appreciated.
I

Thanks for your response!
I will do more water changes per your suggestion.
I do have my water tested every week and my levels have been coming back great.
Perhaps it didnā€™t develop over night and I just took to long to notice it :( hate to think Iā€™m not on top of my fish health. I feel slightly obsessed.
I went to another fish store (a more specialty place) they said they had never seen anything like it. They said to try a Paraguard dip. Which I did yesterday for an hour then did a 25% water change then again this morning and I have left him in it.
It doesnā€™t appear to be getting better.
In your opinion do you think itā€™s safe to take him out of the hospital take and let him back with the other fish to live out itā€™s life?
My 20 gallon is doing really good right now Iā€™m nervous to alter that. So If I need to Iā€™ll buy an additional 10 gallon and let the sick Platy live there but Iā€™d rather only maintain one tank.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• B5C93BE8-70E3-4809-8C38-D918560B83DE.jpeg
    B5C93BE8-70E3-4809-8C38-D918560B83DE.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 195

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back