Help! Platy giving birth to dormant/unfertilized eggs?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kascopic

Reaction score
Hi, so I got a new Plath a few days ago and saw that she was pregnant to I put her into a breeder box and this morning she expelled a clear yellow egg, ive raised live bearers before so this normally wouldn’t get me concerned however I came back several hours later and she released a few more. NONE OF WHICH WERE FRY, just eggs? What do I do? Is there something wrong or did she just not get fertilized? Is he aborting then because I got her a few days ago from a friend and she’s stressed?

Attachments

• 5E7C66D5-9E15-4E42-BB09-BF7DA67BE2F1.jpeg
    5E7C66D5-9E15-4E42-BB09-BF7DA67BE2F1.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 2,556
  • 0376A705-F5C8-4D35-BD7D-77F304820121.jpeg
    0376A705-F5C8-4D35-BD7D-77F304820121.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,089
  • 108F8103-C473-4AFB-B5BB-0480E0571B7C.jpeg
    108F8103-C473-4AFB-B5BB-0480E0571B7C.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:
The female was injured when she was caught and is now giving birth to undeveloped eggs. there is nothing you can do for her.

In future if you have to move pregnant livebearers, keep them in water at all times. Lifting them out of the water can cause the egg sack to rupture and a premature labour.

The safest way to move pregnant females is to carefully catch them in a net but keep them in water. Then use a plastic container and put it under the net and lift the female up in the net and in water. Then move her to another tank or wherever she is going, and put the container in the tank water and let her swim out.

Try not to move female livebearers for a week after they have given birth because they need time to heal up. If you have to move them, use the method described above.

------------------------
If you have lots of plants in the tank, the female and babies can hide in them and most of the babies survive. You can use a plastic container to scoop the babies up and move them into a rearing container.

The female was injured when she was caught and is now giving birth to undeveloped eggs. there is nothing you can do for her.

In future if you have to move pregnant livebearers, keep them in water at all times. Lifting them out of the water can cause the egg sack to rupture and a premature labour.

The safest way to move pregnant females is to carefully catch them in a net but keep them in water. Then use a plastic container and put it under the net and lift the female up in the net and in water. Then move her to another tank or wherever she is going, and put the container in the tank water and let her swim out.

Try not to move female livebearers for a week after they have given birth because they need time to heal up. If you have to move them, use the method described above.

------------------------
If you have lots of plants in the tank, the female and babies can hide in them and most of the babies survive. You can use a plastic container to scoop the babies up and move them into a rearing container.

None of them are developed in the slightest which threw me for a loop cause she was pregnant in my friends tank and shouldn’t the eggs be at least a little developed rather than almost empty?

Last edited:

------------------------

Also, she is still quite large, how long until she’s done? I will just submerge the breeder box into the main tank once it’s safe to release her

There's no way of telling how far along she is and when she will no longer be releasing eggs. If the egg sack only had a small rupture, it might heal up and the remaining eggs might develop normally. But she might continue to lose eggs for a day or so.

-------------------------
Some fish can look like they are full of eggs/ babies but they actually have intestinal worms. If the fish have not been dewormed, try deworming them.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If these aren't available, look for Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

I am so sorry man. It is unfortunate that your female has lost her children

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back