Help plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lukey_peeh

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently set up my first tank on Sunday. It’s currently going through the fishless cycle.

I have noticed the tips on my java fern are turning black and the leaves look very crinkled.

Is this normal ?

I have attached some pictures of the plants I have. Could the fishless cycle effect the plants.

I haven’t added any nutrients to tank yet as the shop keeper told me to wait a few days. This doesn’t sound right to me but I guess he knows more than I do.

It’s my first tank so I may be over worrying about things.

662955822a39b5b3f9913a8666af3a48.jpg
c042dcca97066148b4f88635f8aeeb03.jpg
828fce0571a4cf6e0fa479b8c5ffba3e.jpg
ebe64161d3e29792f5984b7137b1d78d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

I would be careful accepting advice from store employees. This is a new tank...plants need nutrients and now to get established even more. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for the Planted Aquarium is one good liquid supplement; another is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti. I have used the Seachem for over ten years and it is good. Both manufacturers make several products under the "Flourish" or "Florin" name so make sure it is exactly what I've indicated, whichever one (you don't need both, either one).

I would also recommend some Flourish Tabs for the sword; get the small package, 10 I think; you only add one every 3-4 months. Swords benefit considerably from these. The sword plant is the third photo from the top. And you should pull it just up to the surface so the crown is not buried as that can rot it. The crown is the thick stem from which the leaves grow upward and the roots downward.

On the Java Fern, the crinkled leaves are normal. The black may or may not be, I cannot tell from the photo. But this plant does not do as well in direct overhead light, so some floating plants will help regardless.

Now to the cycling...do not add ammonia here. It is easy to kill the plants. They take up ammonia and once they are established, and especially if you get some floating plants, you will not have to fuss over "cycling." It makes things much safer and simpler. We can go into this later, but I would hate to see these plants dying from ammonia poisoning. The comprehensive liquid and the tabs will get them growing and settled.

Thank you,

I thought it was bit weird not to give them some sort of nutrients.

I was sold the two products attached are these any good ?
777e183b9b954a2b941d1d0f245e5168.jpg
6bc5549abbabb18bbc65f142e90a26a5.jpg

I've never used those so i cannot say yea or nay. But in another thread earlier this week the liquid PlantaMin was mentioned and I was unable to find the ingredients online, so I am skeptical.

If you have not opened these, and the store will accept them in return for the Seachem products (if they carry Seachem) I would recommend that. But if not, then use these, which are likely better than nothing. But change to the Seachem when these are gone (or sooner, up to you).

[QUOTE="Byron, post: 3839040,]
Now to the cycling...do not add ammonia here. It is easy to kill the plants. They take up ammonia and once they are established, and especially if you get some floating plants, you will not have to fuss over "cycling." It makes things much safer and simpler. We can go into this later, but I would hate to see these plants dying from ammonia poisoning. The comprehensive liquid and the tabs will get them growing and settled.[/QUOTE]

All I have added to start the cycle is the aqua pure aquarium bomb again recommended by the store.
e404ef3148c8593634ac5377cf02fa29.jpg

[QUOTE="Byron, post: 3839040,]
Now to the cycling...do not add ammonia here. It is easy to kill the plants. They take up ammonia and once they are established, and especially if you get some floating plants, you will not have to fuss over "cycling." It makes things much safer and simpler. We can go into this later, but I would hate to see these plants dying from ammonia poisoning. The comprehensive liquid and the tabs will get them growing and settled.

All I have added to start the cycle is the aqua pure aquarium bomb again recommended by the store.
e404ef3148c8593634ac5377cf02fa29.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I think this product has come up in another thread several weeks (or longer) ago, so someone may have more on it. But from what I can see, it is more of a bacterial supplement and that is OK. It is adding pure ammonia as one often does to fishless cycle that is dangerous with plants present. So unless someone more knowledgeable on this "bomb" has contrary info, no problem.

I don't recommend to use that brand. I suggest using "Seachem Flourish". It is the best stuff on the market, IMO. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back