Help On Attempt At 190 Litre Planted Aquarium

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hexy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am about to start up my fish tank again and would like to go ahead and get a really beautiful planted tank. I have tried before using yeast co2 but didnt have much luck apart from the vallis plants

Please could you help on what plants to go for and also if co2 using yeast can be done - i am a bit scared to use a pressured system

i am hoping to have small fish with apistogrammas and shoals of caridnals.

i would like a carpet plant like glossostigma and then some recommendations for mid and back plants and using bogwood, so maybe some moss?

i have invested in two new 28w 590 high-lite day juwel lights for my trigon tank too.

all help is much appreciated as i' havent had much luck in the past.

also where best to buy plants from? based in UK.

thanks
hexy

depends what you want your tank to look like with the back plants. you could use stem plants? vallis?

yeast co2 can be done...( iv just set one up about a week ago) plants are growing well but so is some algae. also the seal on the bottle of co2 broke. so its useless at the moment (fixing over the weekend)

as for pressurized. id go with that (if my parents would let me have it). there is nothing to be scared of in my opinion long if you take proper safety measures (e.g leaving the pin in on the FE until you have the reg on) pressurized is best as its more controllable

theres online websites you can buy plants from:
plantsalive
javaplants
tropica

all of them are good sites (or so iv been told)
personally iv had good survice from plants alive 2/3 times (the 1 time i didn't it was ordered just after newyear. so i think they had to get alot of orders out-plants still arrived and are now healthy)

also ebay. it vary from buyer to buyer. persoanlly i bought some moss off there. its now spreading nicely in my tanks

i dont know about Apistogramma (at the moment-im looking at one for my tank) but cardinals you could have a really nice school

thanks for the response. I guess I'd like something like the bottom picture in this link with the harlequins in it
http://www.ukaps.org/higher-tech-tank.htm

how did you set up the yeast co2? Im not so sure i had it working properly last time, also how long do you leave it running for?

I have bought on ebay before but find the portions are small and also they sell much younger plants so it takes a while for them to grow at all. though i think its cheaper on ebay so if you have any reputable sellers id be interested.

which moss did you go with as would like a nice one to attach to some bog wood and have growing.

any more ideas on which plants to go for would be great... i like vallis and it grows well in my tanks. amazon swords i havent had great luck with though. i like anibius too

depends what you want your tank to look like with the back plants. you could use stem plants? vallis?

yeast co2 can be done...( iv just set one up about a week ago) plants are growing well but so is some algae. also the seal on the bottle of co2 broke. so its useless at the moment (fixing over the weekend)

as for pressurized. id go with that (if my parents would let me have it). there is nothing to be scared of in my opinion long if you take proper safety measures (e.g leaving the pin in on the FE until you have the reg on) pressurized is best as its more controllable

theres online websites you can buy plants from:
plantsalive
javaplants
tropica

all of them are good sites (or so iv been told)
personally iv had good survice from plants alive 2/3 times (the 1 time i didn't it was ordered just after newyear. so i think they had to get alot of orders out-plants still arrived and are now healthy)

also ebay. it vary from buyer to buyer. persoanlly i bought some moss off there. its now spreading nicely in my tanks

i dont know about Apistogramma (at the moment-im looking at one for my tank) but cardinals you could have a really nice school

you shouldn't have a problem with anibaus

sorry i dont have any recommended ebay sellers. i got some weeping moss off ebay. its a nice moss its growing well in my tanks. true the proportions are smaller. maybe buy some from a member off the forum? there's plenty of sales forums

as for CO2 2 1L bottles with yeast and sugar and water in. lid with co2 pipe silliced in place. T connector. 1 way valve. bubble counter. 1way valve diffuser

co2.jpg

its been running for a week last yesterday. im 1 bottle per a week (at the moment) but im going to be doing an experiment in the future for my type of yeast (different yeasts have different reaction rates- i think) to see when to change the bottles

that tank looks good the plant in the foreground is Helferi in the linked photo =]

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back