FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Why are they doing bedbug checks in the middle of a lockdown anyway?

Verbal agreements between you and the landlord mean nothing in a court of law unless there are witnesses to the discussion.

What does the lease say?
If it says you can have one aquarium up to 30 gallons, then you are in breach of the lease. If it says you can have aquariums up to 30 gallons, then you are ok.

If there is nothing in the lease about pets/ aquariums (unlikely but possible), and there is only a verbal agreement, then you might be ok. If the landlord says aquariums up to 30 gallons, then go with that. If they said 1 aquarium up to 30 gallons, say you thought they said aquarium/s (plural). But be prepared to shut a couple of tanks down if they tell you to.

And I assume you have the pet insurance so they are covered if something goes wrong with the tanks?

They have no ground to evict you if the agreement (in paper with a signature) say nothing about hoe many tank you can have. If they choose to take you to court you will win. You may be even able to counter sue if that comes up. But I doubt it will.

I wouldn't do anything.

In my experience with renting, fish tanks were always ok. I think the main thing with pets is any damage/smells they can cause. So really the only issues possible with fish tanks are a tank breaking and causing water damage or problems with damp, could argue smells but a healthy fish tank shouldn't 'smell' per say, apart from how fish tanks smell if you get me.

Like whats been said check your tenancy agreement and see what that says, really 1 tank or 5 it shouldn't matter too much unless they specifically said 1 tank. You might even find the person coming round to do your inspection likes the tanks and you're worrying over nothing :) assuming you arn't actually in breach of anything.

In my experience with renting, fish tanks were always ok. I think the main thing with pets is any damage/smells they can cause. So really the only issues possible with fish tanks are a tank breaking and causing water damage or problems with damp, could argue smells but a healthy fish tank shouldn't 'smell' per say, apart from how fish tanks smell if you get me.
Yes, I live in a Sovereign flat and my mom asked them if we can have any pets and they said no to cats as they will damage the property, well I can agree with that, and they smell awfully. Even though if Sovereign said no to dogs and cats, they said we can keep pets like rodents, hamsters, guinea pigs, fish and reptiles (I believe?). Mostly animals that live in cages/tanks.
I understand them, cats smell awfully and they did damage things including the couch :rolleyes:

Most reactions

trending

Back