FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jmoreland

Reaction score
Hey all!
My partner and I rent an apartment in a high rise building in chicago (floor 10). We are allowed to have fish tanks up to 30 gal w insurance. We have insurance of course! The thing is, we have accumulated many fish tanks due to mollies and guppies having babies and us wanting to keep some. We now have 6 tanks total... One 29 gal, one 20 gal, two 10 gal, two 5 gal. This shouldnt be an issue as even if it isnt allowed they would have no clue... except now they are doing bedbug checks in each apt. A building manager will attend each apt while they check. We have NO clue what to do. Do you think our multiple tanks are allowed? Do we need to hide some? Please help. I know at least one tank is allowed but... we kind of cheated the system by having multiple smaller tanks. We dont know if this is technicaly allowed and were too afraid to ask. We have a couple days but im just looking for any sort of input we could find... Please let me know what yall think. Any suggestions or input. I know this is a messy situation. Ill put details of each tank below!

29 gal:
6 female bettas
one cory catfish
one brittlenose pleco
3 ghost shrimp
one albino catfish
2 ototinuclus (not sure how you spell it?)
6 female mollies
4 male mollies

20 gal
5 female bettas
13 male guppies
one small breeder net box of about 10 baby mollies

10 gal
5 female mollies

10 gal
8 female guppies
one male betta

5 gal
one pregnant female guppy
12 baby mollies (about a quarter of an inch)

5 gal
one male betta
one african dwarf frog

If your landlord/manager deems that you violated your lease agreement, they have the right to begin the eviction process. Don't want to scare you, but that is the nuclear option they can take,

MOST landlords will be understanding and will offer options: get rid of the other 5 tanks, allow you to keep them but just increase your insurance, etc.

OR they see it and couldn't care less.

One huge advantage you have is that most states have a shelter in place so they cannot evict you.

They have no rules about how many tanks or even the tank gallon limit.. what i was told was in person. All it says is to have insurance if we have a tank... thankfully yes no evictions. We have always asked our landlords about questionable situations so hopefully they wont mind...

You could tell them that you look after the fish for your family or friend. They shouldn't have an issue with this then.
oh maybe.. we arent allowed any dogs or cats (or other animals i guess) on the property without their written consent though so i am not sure about that?

oh maybe.. we arent allowed any dogs or cats (or other animals i guess) on the property without their written consent though so i am not sure about that?
I have two cats that my landlords don't know about ;)
I know what I'm talking about, whenever they come to check the house I tell them that I look after the cats for my aunt.
It always works ;)

LOL love that. sneaky! post pics of the cats! we have bunnies and rats too but they are ESAs so theyre of course allowed.

Here is Jerry and his lil sister:
C2C08A90-51CD-417E-9002-255812CEF77D.jpeg

Here's just Jerry:

60A6A838-48EA-4F7D-9FD4-79D0E7BC9BEA.jpeg

Hey all!
My partner and I rent an apartment in a high rise building in chicago (floor 10). We are allowed to have fish tanks up to 30 gal w insurance. We have insurance of course! The thing is, we have accumulated many fish tanks due to mollies and guppies having babies and us wanting to keep some. We now have 6 tanks total... One 29 gal, one 20 gal, two 10 gal, two 5 gal. This shouldnt be an issue as even if it isnt allowed they would have no clue... except now they are doing bedbug checks in each apt. A building manager will attend each apt while they check. We have NO clue what to do. Do you think our multiple tanks are allowed? Do we need to hide some? Please help. I know at least one tank is allowed but... we kind of cheated the system by having multiple smaller tanks. We dont know if this is technicaly allowed and were too afraid to ask. We have a couple days but im just looking for any sort of input we could find... Please let me know what yall think. Any suggestions or input. I know this is a messy situation. Ill put details of each tank below!

29 gal:
6 female bettas
one cory catfish
one brittlenose pleco
3 ghost shrimp
one albino catfish
2 ototinuclus (not sure how you spell it?)
6 female mollies
4 male mollies

20 gal
5 female bettas
13 male guppies
one small breeder net box of about 10 baby mollies

10 gal
5 female mollies

10 gal
8 female guppies
one male betta

5 gal
one pregnant female guppy
12 baby mollies (about a quarter of an inch)

5 gal
one male betta
one african dwarf frog
Do you have friends on the building? You could move a couple smaller tanks there temporarily?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back