HELP! New canister will not prime! BUBBLES coming out intake.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Lucy155

Reaction score
Any ideas? I purchased a penn flax Cascade 1200 5 weeks ago. Itā€™s been fantastic, easy set up, water great. Did a cleanup on it this morning and now I canā€™t get it to prime.

Whether I push the prime button or turn it on, large bubbles come out of the intake line. Water will NOT get sucked up. Only bubbles coming out!

My connections are correct ... blue to blue; black to black. Gaskets seem to be correct. Took canister apart 6 times to check everything. I even took apart the propeller.

I did have the spray bar output under water, but have corrected that. It is now above water line. I tried sucking on input line from the tank. Iā€™ve tried filling the hose with water from the canister to the tank. I shook the canister back and forth to loosen air. Nothing working.

How do I get the air from blowing into my 75 gallon tank? Is it broken? How long can the tank go without filtration?

Lucy155
Pittsburgh, PA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Priming buttons/ plungers on canister filters are crap and the manufacturers need to stop adding them. Your best bet is to put the outlet hose into a bucket next to the filter and let the water flow into the bucket. Turn the filter on while this is happening and it should push the air out of the filter. You can give the filter a gentle shake while to help dislodge trapped air bubbles. When no more bubbles come out of the filter outlet, and water is flowing rapidly, turn the filter off and put the outlet hose back in the tank. Then turn the filter back on. Pour the bucket of water back into the tank or on the garden.

If the filter still doesn't work then turn it off and empty all the water out of the filter. Put the inlet hose in the tank and suck on the outlet hose for a second. Put the outlet hose into the bucket next to the filter and let the filter fill up and when the water is flowing into the bucket, put the outlet hose in the tank and turn the filter on.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Priming buttons/ plungers on canister filters are crap and the manufacturers need to stop adding them. Your best bet is to put the outlet hose into a bucket next to the filter and let the water flow into the bucket. Turn the filter on while this is happening and it should push the air out of the filter. You can give the filter a gentle shake while to help dislodge trapped air bubbles. When no more bubbles come out of the filter outlet, and water is flowing rapidly, turn the filter off and put the outlet hose back in the tank. Then turn the filter back on. Pour the bucket of water back into the tank or on the garden.

If the filter still doesn't work then turn it off and empty all the water out of the filter. Put the inlet hose in the tank and suck on the outlet hose for a second. Put the outlet hose into the bucket next to the filter and let the filter fill up and when the water is flowing into the bucket, put the outlet hose in the tank and turn the filter on.

Thank you!! I will work on this using your directions today. I got so frustrated yesterday, I had to quit. I set up my penguin 350 HOB to keep filtration going in meantime using some existing media. Thank goodness for an inventory of aquarium stuff!

Iā€™ll update you! Again, thanks for being there. Much appreciated.

Just wanted to close the loop on this problem. After trying your suggestions several times, I still couldnā€™t stop the bubbles from coming out the intake.

I had written an email to the manufacturer. I finally got a reply back. My hoses hook ups were crossed. I had the input on the output side, etc. It was one of those moments that you canā€™t believe the time you wasted for such a crazy, simple-fix, mistake.

My Pennflax Cascade 1200 Is working great. No damage after trying so many times to prime with the hoses switched. Best of all.... Iā€™m back to enjoying fish keeping!

Thank you for being there!

I had written an email to the manufacturer. I finally got a reply back. My hoses hook ups were crossed. I had the input on the output side, etc. It was one of those moments that you canā€™t believe the time you wasted for such a crazy, simple-fix, mistake.
ROFLMAO :rofl:

Most external canister filters have different diameter hoses so this can't happen. Good to hear you got it sorted.

I'm just gonna go back here and LOL some more :rofl::)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back