Help Neon Tetras Keep Dying!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

minimanam

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I need some help.

I have had my tank set up for 12 months and had my water tested today at my local fish suppliers and was assured everything was "perfect".

I do regular weekly water changes of 10% and the tank is in good condition.

In the tank are 2 Zebra Danios

Tank Size 65 litres

After having the water tested I purchased 6 Neon Tetras as I intend to have just Tetras in the tank.

The fish were brought home and floated in the water for 30 mins then water introduced into bag slowly for 30 mins.

However all but one of the Neons have now died.

Any help would be most welcome

I do not know your LFS, but for some general advice please do not trust an LFS when they say your water is "perfect" if they get an impression that your in their to possibly make a purchase they are going to tell you pretty much anything tbh ..if you do not have one, buy your own test kit, otherwise how do you know what going on in regards to water parameters in your own tank?

By the way, Im not saying you have bad water conditions but my point is, if your asking an LFS to test it for you and they are ultimately looking out for pound signs then you are leaving your tank in some not very trustworthy hands.

I'd suggest investing in an API liquid test kit of your own. For about £20 if bought online it'll last you ages and give you accurate results. Amazon stock it.

From my own experience neons aren't the hardiest fish when you first buy them but seem to be fairly hardy if you can get past the first couple of weeks to a month. Try some from another shop. Could have just been a sickly batch. I'd get the API test-kit first though and check your water. Don't buy the test strips as they're not as accurate.

I agree, getting your own test kit and understanding the results is vital to maintaining aquaria, and the API test kit is second to none.
Some aquatic shops are quite poor when it comes to advice, on the other hand some are excellent. Look around at as many local shops as you can chat to the staff and ask questions, get to know them get to know what they stock, and have a look at the stock.
We have recently moved and are currently undergoing a fishless cycle, in the time it is taking to cycle the tank i have been visiting our local fish shops as often as possible, firstly to get to know the staff, but also to get to know the shop, key points i`m looking for are:

Do they quarantine new fish?

are the tanks clean and well maintained? not just the display tanks but ALL the tanks.

Are there any dead fish in the tanks? getting there first thing in the morning is usually a good time to check this as any that have died over night may still be there.

Quality of the fish, Obvious really.

Stocking of the fish. Now while shops do over stock there tanks, do they show enough knowledge not to stick 10 male siamese fighters in together, and do they know not sticking an oscar in with neons ( i have seen this) isn`t going to help with there stock loss

But sometimes the best looking stock from the best shop, with the best care dosent survive.

Did you add the 6 neons to a tank that only had 2 danios and nothing else?

If this is the case, adding the neons would have been too much for the filter to cope with - it only contained enough bacteria to deal with 2 fish, then you added another 6. Did you check the ammonia level after getting the neons, and how quickly did they die? If you had an ammonia spike, it could well have killed the neons as they are not hardy fish.

Before getting any more fish, you do need a liquid reagent test kit as the others have said, then you can measure the ammonia level and do water changes if you do get an ammonia spike next time you get fish.

Did you add the 6 neons to a tank that only had 2 danios and nothing else?

If this is the case, adding the neons would have been too much for the filter to cope with - it only contained enough bacteria to deal with 2 fish, then you added another 6.

seconded on this point. You have effectively quadrupled the bioload in one go. It is the generally recommened practice to only add a MAXIMUM of 50% additional stock at once.

you definately need to get a test kit have a look on ebay or something i actually got mine from there for £13 ! brand new

i might be facing a problem similar to yours, i bought 2 neons yesterday, the large one looked like it had a really small patch or scratch looking in white, today I saw it was being stuck on the filter, when i got it out it had torn up fins, the other neons are ok since a few of them ive had for a few weeks.

I would have suggested you didn't bring home the neon with the "small patch or scratch" as this indicates something. Not sure what, but all was not right.

For the OP, follow the advice given you and you should be doing well soon.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back