Help! Neon Tetra!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TallTree01

Coo, Man
Reaction score
Help! One of my neon tetras is acting strange: it swims vertically frequently, its colors are less colorful that the others. I think I might of fed them a little much this morning as I was rushing a bit. He's either just stuffed himself or , I fear , neon tetra disease. Can someone please shed some light in this! I'm scared for it. I tested my water 4 days ago. Results are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30 ( This is lowering itself slowly as my new plants eat it )
Ph 6.5

Test your water today? It's possible they have eaten too much. Neon tetras are a pain to keep nowadays.

Ditto Techen. 
Wishing you the best of luck with him/her though.
How is the Neon now?

As much as I love Neons, I've virtually given up on keeping them as they never really last. I think they seem to be a lot weaker these days or at least more delicate.

Good luck TT01

I've noticed 2 more exhibiting these symptoms. 6 others not faded colors but swimming funny. I won't feed tomorrow and see if they improve. I'll be sure to keep you guys informed. I think most fish are becoming weaker these days due to inbreeding and other ..... Bad stuff. I hope the colony pulls through. Question. If its NT disease, is spike ( my albino bristlenose ) at risk? I've read some tetras are at risk but not sure about Plecos. Cross your fingers that it isn't NTD. I'll be hoping for the best. I think if the worst happens I'll go with livebearers or a massive shrimp colony.

All neons seem generally lazy at the moment ( then again it is 8:30pm so they're probably asleep ). Good news, ever since I joined these forums ( 13th feb ) my bristlenose has grown another 1cm. Ive only had him since late November and he was only 3-4 cm when I got him. :)

TT01, i've just found this from the fish channel:
Infected aquarium fish will often spend less time with their schoolmates than normal, typically hiding away under aquarium plants and showing no interest in fish food. The aquarium fish’s colors fade, and sometimes gray or white patches on the flanks become apparent. In advanced cases the aquarium fish may have trouble swimming, and the fish may develop odd swellings or contortions indicative of damage to the musculature. Usually the aquarium fish dies within two or three days of the first symptoms of neon tetra disease becoming apparent.
However the article then goes on to say that there are other diseases that can give similar symptoms.

I've heard that but as theres no Threats to the neons in my tank my tetras don't shoal much anyway. Neons aren't known for being tight schoolers to start with........
He was aboslutely fine when this pic was taken.

http://www.bubblews.com/assets/images/news/781506595_1358367217.jpg

Edit: the above is the wrong one ( clearly ) here's the real one
IMG_4318_zps7baf7a01.jpg

^ that's a pretty good pic you gotta admit

Did you use flash, or is that a firework in your castle?

Good luck with your little guys.

If I get a good pic will someone be able to tell me for sure?

I have a bloating/fat neon tetra. I posted about it some weeks ago and pretty much people thought she would die shortly. I fasted mine and she lost weight.. though now she has gotten fat all over again... (I don't think this is at all the same case with yours).

I have had a few neons lost to NTD and it has reshaped my perspective on treating neons. Unless I can determine exactly what the problem is or can rule out neon tetra disease, I have taken to euthanizing them. That has been the only way I managed to stop NTD from spreading in my tank.

Neons are very difficult.

Anyhow... that is what I do.. if my neons have faded and start developing a faded/white patch they go immediately before anything else happens.

Why is it that I only choose the pain in the neck fish? :grr:

Great news! I've just studied my fish closely and all 9 are back to normal. Colors colorful, fins flapping, mouths opening and closing. It must of just been a glitch.
@RCA yeah I gotta use flash for most of my pics as my tank lighting isn't good and my camera is rubbish without flash.

TallTree01 said:
Great news! I've just studied my fish closely and all 9 are back to normal. Colors colorful, fins flapping, mouths opening and closing. It must of just been a glitch.
@RCA yeah I gotta use flash for most of my pics as my tank lighting isn't good and my camera is rubbish without flash.
Good news TT01! Glad to hear all is now ok!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back