FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello TFF. Recently I rescued a couple of fish off of craigslist. Sadly, only 1 survived. The owner had about 5 mixed fish (Tetras, plates, guppies, etc) In a fish bowl. Now, this was around 3 days ago.

I believe the fish that still survived is a phantom tetra? (Not sure because he (I am assuming) doesn't have really tall fish, and sort of has a red underbelly. I can not upload pictures because of my bad WiFi, but I will try tomorrow. He is currently in my 10g betta tank, along with my very chill betta, Blaze. Blaze doesn't mind at all and he is very ok with it.

I need some help as to what is the care for this species, and any other future plans for him. I have recently been trying to feed him Tetra Tropical Flake, but he is still a little rattled, and dent take.

Thanks in advance! :)

Surprised any survived living in a fish bowl! I know all tetra species usually prefer to live in a group and the majority species prefer soft water, but I haven’t had tetras in a very long time so I’d probably use seriouslyfish for an overview when you confirm species. :)

Surprised any survived living in a fish bowl! I know all tetra species usually prefer to live in a group and the majority species prefer soft water, but I haven’t had tetras in a very long time so I’d probably use seriouslyfish for an overview when you confirm species. :)
Ok, thank you. I will check on SF, and see what I can find. I do know that Tetras do prefer to be in groups, thats why I really need to figure something out. I have already tried to give/sell my tetra to my LFS, but they won't do it. :(

You could try Facebook pet rehome pages for your local area or... ask relatives and friends for a new tank for Christmas. :rofl:

You will be so happy when you get your 20 gallon. Maybe push for an EARLY Christmas gift. On sale the tank should only cost about $25. Then there is the filter, heater, substrate, decorations, plant's that will push it up to way over $100. I picked up a 29 gallon that I needed in a hurry from PetSmart for $68. Came with a filter and heater (the heater is very unusual) I am picky about both my filters and heaters and replaced them but most people could make do with them just fine. Gravel is cheap, and if you have any fish keeping fiends see if they will share some plants. Tetra's are a group fish and they don't care that much about living in a jungle or hiding in caves, so you are lucky there. Some of the glow-tetra's are just super cool (and I used to think they were tacky) but they add really lovely colors to your tank and their color actually tones down a little bit once they are grown so it's not so bright - just pretty. My luck and they'll all mate and all the colors mixed together will just result in a bunch of brown tetras.

I wouldn’t have put him in with Blaze. The fish should have been QT, especially in the condition they came to you in. Come on, Phoenix, you know better than that. OK scolding over from your TFF Mom.

I am no expert and just getting back into the hobby after a long hiatus. I am currently working on a 55 gallon tank which I have just tetras. Neon, ember and red eye tetras. They like to be in groups of 6 or more to feel safe. I would make sure you fish has plenty of places to hide and I would lower the light level to help him adjust to the new surroundings, this will help prevent shock. They also like plenty of plants

They like to be in groups of 6 or more to feel safe. I would make sure you fish has plenty of places to hide and I would lower the light level to help him adjust to the new surroundings, this will help prevent shock. They also like plenty of plants
That's a good point about the light. Tetras are forest fish and don't like a lot of light. He does need some friends but flake food is just fine. He will eat when he is good and ready, but as I'm sure you know bettas and tetras don't really belong in the same space so you need to figure that out sooner rather than later :)

I wouldn’t have put him in with Blaze. The fish should have been QT, especially in the condition they came to you in. Come on, Phoenix, you know better than that. OK scolding over from your TFF Mom.
No, he was in QT for about 4 days, and after medication and water changes, he was alright and checked out. :)

That's a good point about the light. Tetras are forest fish and don't like a lot of light. He does need some friends but flake food is just fine. He will eat when he is good and ready, but as I'm sure you know bettas and tetras don't really belong in the same space so you need to figure that out sooner rather than later :)
Ok! Thank you. I have a LOT of floating plants in that tank, so there is not that much light. So update, he did eat flake food yesterday night, and ate very well at that. :)

That is good to hear that he is eating and the plants should help him feel safer. I have had Bettas before but never with neon tetras. I hope it works out but I would put the neon in a different tank if you can or look into a tank divider. I saw one the other day at a pet store. It is a screen that lets the water flow through but keeps the fish separated. That may be cheaper than buying another tank.

Ok guys, so sorry for the long wait. My WiFi has been out almost 4 days, and I can’t figure out why.

Pictures of my little guy:
02459651-21AC-45B4-B575-136BD06B3715.jpeg

99510484-926B-47B0-8B39-EFCA620E71E3.jpeg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, this guy is fast!

He is doing well, and is eating. :)

———————————————————

I also made a DIY floating plant separator out of 2 suction cups and fishing line. It’s pretty cool! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back