Help needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

chigwellhammer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
ive lost 3 fish and look like another one on the way out in 24 hours.

2 platys
2 corys

Ammonia and Nitrite both reading 0ppm
Nitrate probably just over 80ppm so I have just done a large water change.

Any ideas???

Any chance of a picture of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness) and pH of your water supply. This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

What symptoms are the fish showing?

How long has the tank been set up for?
How long have you had the fish for?

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the tank when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter do you have?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

If your nitrate is 80ppm. I would say that’s the culprit. How low is it since the water change? If still above 20ppm do another 75% water change. Then you need to figure out why your nitrates are so high. How often do you clean your tank?

I water change every Sunday, At least half the tank.

I have just started using TMC Complete could it be that I have over used this?

I added some last Thursday when I first got it and again on Sunday after my water change.

I’m not familiar with it but if it’s just a dechlorinator it shouldn’t affect the nitrate. Is it possible you’re overfeeding?

TMC Complete is a liquid fertilsier.

As for feeding i wouldnt imagine i am, I usually feed every other day.

any chance you can answer the question in post # 2 ?

the more info we have about the fish and tanks, the more chance we have of working out what happened to the fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back