HELP NEEDED!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Trysha

Reaction score
Im a new aquarium owner a d we have moved up to a 20 gal tank. We had an African dwarf frog at first then I added 4 kuhli louch and 2 pleco. Things were fine then I noticed one of the louch picking on the other fish. Today I found my frog sluggish, not eating, and not acting herself. She had something white hanging from her nose that looked like skin and after looking closely I realized she was hurt. I dont know what to do to help her more than I already did. I removed her from the tank to a hospital thg ank but don't knkw what to use to help her heal. If anyone has advice let me know. My kid is got this frog for her birthday and I want to try to save it.

Attachments

• 15477825555059017792050678926287.jpg
    15477825555059017792050678926287.jpg
    757.6 KB · Views: 133
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

I can't tell anything from the picture. Can you post a picture that clearly shows the frog and problem?

Frogs are notoriously hard to treat because they don't tolerate chemicals, and should not be kept with fish for this reason.

If you keep the water clean, minor sores should heal up by themself. I would change 75% of the water every day and hope for the best. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

She used to live in a tank with a betta and they got along well. Louch are new fish to me but Jojo seems to get in fights with just one of the louch.

Her whole left nostril is red and wider than her eye.

Frogs have pretty good regenerative powers so give it a few days to recover and see if it improves. If it gets worse in a few days then you can try Triple Sulfa/ Tri sulphar and hope it helps. But frogs are notoriously hard to treat because most fish medications end up killing them.

The sulfa/ sulphar based medications are generally safer than most other medications but there is no guarantee.

----------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Ok, thanks. I will try these and let you know how she is in a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back