Help needed, whats the scientific name for this fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BSM_81

Reaction score
Hi all, i am after the name of this fish. The LFs told me three times lol, it didn't
7772955B-0D03-48D7-A8A5-C2B19FEC9919.jpeg
register and i wasn't going to ask a fourth!

We used to call them parrot cichlids but I can't remember the scientific name. However, they are not the crap blood parrot cichlids being sold, which are deformed mutant hybrids that shouldn't be kept. The fish in the picture is a true species and quite a nice fish that grows to about 6 inches and the males get blue/ green colour over part of the body when they mature.

Thanks for the reply. Can you keep these in groups? Im sure it the name began with a N, i have messaged the lfs too.

thanks for the help

When they are young they can live in groups but like all cichlids, when they mature they set up territories and the dominant ones bash the weaker ones. You can keep adult male and female/s together in a tank that is 3 foot or longer.

Thanks, i have a 5ft tank but will stick to just the one. Been reading about the true parrot cichlid.

This is a very beautiful fish when it grows big...
It will show full colours when it reaches adult stage.

It's called Hypsophrys nicaraguensis or Nicaragua Cichlid.

Yep. Nicaragua cichlid.

I discovered these last year when I was looking to stock my cichlid tank. There wasn't a whole lot of info about them online and I decided not to pick one up.

I regret that after seeing some pictures of them full grown.

Yes, it's a very beautiful fish but it's quite aggressive.

You have to keep it with other Central America fish.
South America fish can't match it's aggressiveness.

currently with sevrums, birchirs, reed fishs, firemouth, synodontis, raphael cat, tyre track eel and an asian swamp eel. Looking okay so far

I haven't kept them before, but from what I've seen they seem to fit in better with south American fish as far as aggression goes even though they are from central american.

Maybe it's better that I didn't get the fish. He'd be in a tank with south American fish in the severum line of aggression.

I haven't kept them before, but from what I've seen they seem to fit in better with south American fish as far as aggression goes even though they are from central american.

Maybe it's better that I didn't get the fish. He'd be in a tank with south American fish in the severum line of aggression.

Yes, I think Severum is fine but not those less aggressive south American fish.

Yes, I think Severum is fine but not those less aggressive south American fish.
I've been keeping severum for years, and found them to be one of the most peaceful South American cichlids. The only reason most of the time they don't get bullied is because they are big.

I've been keeping severum for years, and found them to be one of the most peaceful South American cichlids. The only reason most of the time they don't get bullied is because they are big.

i have a couple of silver dollars and three angels and a geophagus, they seem to be getting on

Good info. Probably I should try keeping Severum in the future. They have nice colours.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back