Attachments

• 20201205_203750.jpg
    20201205_203750.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 91
  • 20201205_203332.jpg
    20201205_203332.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I am really not sure, but if I was to guess the gold one in the picture on the right is the male and other one is the female.

I am saying this because in dwarf gourami the female is a more of a blan color and the male has lots of color. That is why in most LFS you rarely see females.

There are several colour variant of honey gourami. With the wild colour, the female is paler than the male, but with the yellow and red variants the female is brightly coloured like the male.

How long have you had the fish? The one in the first photo looks very pale and is either very stressed or a colour variant I've not seen before.
Are there any behaviour differences? Having kept honeys for many years I can usually spot males and females by their behaviour though it's difficult to explain. Males tend to be more perky, alert and looking round the tank, while females tend to be more laid back and spend a lot of time just wandering round or scouring the bottom of the tank for morsels of food.

Fins. I've read on various websites that you can tell males from females by their fin shape, but that didn't always apply to my honeys. Look at the end of the fin near the tail. In a female, the end of the fin is supposed to go straight up while with a male, it is supposed to go back further, then come back in to where it's attached to the body. This is a terrible drawing to show you what to look for
gourami.jpg

Do either of them ever have a darker stripe from nose to tail? That is more likely in a female though very stressed males sometimes have a stripe.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back