Help needed for new fishkeepers!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lavenderblue

Reaction score
Hello
My husband and I are new tropical fishkeepers, although he did keep tropical fish many years ago. We are in need of help!

We set up the tank - a Qubic 30 - at the beginning of February. We added a heater, sand and rocks for the bottom and real plants. The water was treated with water conditioner, as recommended by our local supplier and left for about a week before adding any fish. We bought 6 guppies and 6 orange neons to start and a week or so later some red/blue neons and some headlight (?) fish. Two thirds of the water has been changed weekly - keeping the temperature the same - and the algae removed and the filter rinsed. Since then, we have lost all the guppies, one by one, half the orange neons, more than half the red/blue ones and half the headlight fish. Our daughter bought us 3 catfish and so far they are doing well. We do not believe that they have been overfed - they eat it all quite quickly.

I do understand that these are tiny creatures and subject to shock at being moved (very carefully!) but I am concerned that our relative inexperience is contributing. Your advice would be appreciated!

I highly doubt that the cycle is complete. The nitrogen cycles will usually complete at around 4-6 weeks. For now, just do daily water changes and monitor your fish's behaviors.

You didn’t cycle your tank and your fish are probably dying of high ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate which are toxic. You were told wrong, I’m afraid. A new tank takes about 6 weeks to cycle. You will now have to do a “fish in” cycle. For now, buy an API Master Test Kit and watch you ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Anytime you show ammonia, nitrite, then do a large water change. Today, do a large 75% water change and buy the test kit. Also buy a bottle of Safe Start+ and pour it in your filter and around the tank. Use the whole bottle. It contains beneficial bacteria which you are trying to grow. Don’t rinse your filter media for now. This will all make more sense after reading on the aquarium nitrogen cycle. https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/

Thank you. We had no idea about cycling? I have ordered a kit and will follow your suggestions. Many thanks!
Also neons and guppies shoudnt be in same tank. Neons are soft water fish and guppies hard water fish. Before adding more fish to your tank get the parameters of the water you are using and add fish that are compatible with that water. Itll save you from more dead fish. Good luck sorry about your cycling fiasco that sucks:(

Look on your water company's website for hardness. You need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words. (UK water companies often use units not used in fishkeeping and we need to know the unit so we can convert it if necessary)
If you can't find it, tell us the name of the company so can look.

I am very grateful for all your replies. You never know what you don't know! We will take all your advice and put it into practice. Thanks again!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Many of us have made the same mistake and lost fish, I know I have lost my share :(like @Deanasue said "We all learn the same way. Most of us are still learning and making mistakes. It is important to do your own research, do not believe everything the LFS tells you.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back