Help! Need To Cycle A New Tank Quickly.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

StarryGirl

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am a complete newbie as i haven't owned fish since i was really little and won a goldfish at the fair that then went in a bowl of water after we left it to get to room temp for a few hours.
I recently agreed to my brother getting my daughter some fish for her birthday. I went out, bought a little tank (12l i think), it came with an air filter and i got some tap safe water conditioner. I told him he could he could wait a little then get her maybe 6 white cloud minnow (He told me he had been advised that these are quite hardy so good starter fish).
He went out got her about 15 off his friend, so they are seriously overcrowded and looking like they are not doing so well. I have bought a bigger tank (28l), bought a used filter as i was advised it would contain some good bacteria. I have a water pump.
Its all set up now but the fish prob wont survive 6-8 weeks in the tiny tank they are in. Is there any way to speed up the nitrogen cycle in the new tank? I have heard mixed reviews on bacteria treatments. Would it help to move old gravel/plastic plants/ air pump?
Any advice appreciated for this panicy mum not wanting to start fishy funerals x

welcomeani.gif

You sure have gone into the deep end haven't you!
Heh, not to panic, you have done absolutely the right move in asking for advice from this forum, we will try to give you the best advice possible.
Do not really on your Local Fish Store (LFS) to give you good advice as they are not the best source for information ironically! 

Ok, right, first of all, here is some information regarding White Cloud Mountain Minnows (WCMM)

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/tanichthys-albonubes/

WCMM differs from tropical fish in that they are more temperate fish rather than tropical, meaning they do better in cooler waters than tropicals.
Also WCMM would be better in a tank, IMO, minimum sized 50 litres, as these are quite active fish and need a fair amount of swimming space.

However since you already have a 28l tank, this is way better than the 12l tank which is minuscule, so thats the better choice for now until you can get a larger tank. So be sure this 28l is just a temporary home for WCMM for now.

Anyway, the used filter you have bought with bacteria in is gonna be a great help as long as the bacteria is ok inside the filter
i.e media inside the filter not been left to dry out for too long, better still if kept wet for a small while, then thats no problem.

So yes, definitely use that filter as long as suitable for the tank. (Do not clean the filter media, leave as is )
What kind of filter is it by the way?

Yes, do transfer all the gravel/substrate and decor as they will contain a small amount of bacteria, not much but better than nothing.

The air pump is not a necessity really, although it will help to agitate the water surface to help aerate the water, having said that, as long as the filter itself can ripple or agitate the water surface that will do perfectly fine without the air pump.

A water tank heater in the tank might help as long the temp is set for, say, 21C max, 20C would be better. This is to keep tank water at a consistent temperature.

That is pretty much the best that can be done for now, lets really hope that used filter with bacteria can get up to strength pretty quick and can deal with ammonia and nitrites sooner rather than later. 

You will be doing what is effectively called a Fish-In-Cycle, means you need to keep an eye on the water parameter to try and keep ammonia and nitrites below 0.50ppm really. Water changes will reduce ammonia and nitrites in the tank. 
So it is possible you will need to do a fair amount of water changes over the next few weeks depending on the used filter bacteria

You will also need to get a Freshwater Test Kit if you do not already have one. API Freshwater Master Test Kit is a pretty decent kit, online about £17 to £25, in store about £25 to £35.

Heres a link for little tanks like your to see what is suitable fish stockings is, just to give you an idea really.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/418749-nano-fish/

Hopefully that will help to give you a start and most importantly, do not panic! We are here to help 
smile.png

Have a read of this as well, this might help you understand what happens in tank water and why we need to cycle the water for the filter to be able to deal with ammonia and nitrite which fish will produce.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Hope that helps.

Thanks Ch4rlie. Some of the other posts had me thinking that if i put them in this tank that half would die off pretty quickly. I will move them over today once i have tested the water :)
Wishing i had done more online research rather than lfs advice. looks like most people say my new tank is only big enough for 3-6 wcmm? I got the aquastart 320 tank because i knew the aqua one 101 filter would be right.
Think im prob gonna have to rehome some. Cant imagine how big a tank for 15 would be (Any idea of dimentions?) . Getting the feeling i should have just agreed to a kitten lol. Would have a better idea of how to look after it ;)

WCMM are quite active fish; in all honesty they shouldn't be in any tank less than two feet long, and three feet would be preferable.

Fluttermoth- I wholeheartedly agree.

In this instance i would rather a 28l rather than a 12l, I really hope this is very temporary, just until hopefully filter is cycled.

Then this may give op a bit of time to research and find a more suitable tank.

Wish me luck. I have transferred 8 fish into the new tank. This means both tanks have smaller groups and it means i can try to make sure the new tank is more stable before i risk moving all the fish. I do intent to upgrade the tank at some point, but wont be able to afford it until after Christmas (by which time i doubt i would have many surviving if they were all left in the tiny tank)
I'm hoping by then i will have found a space big enough for a 2+ ft tank (The table my current tank is on is on is just under 2ft long and 1ft 6 deep) Not sure if current table could hold the weight of that size of tank either.

Just a little update. All 8 wcmm are alive and seem to be more perky (if that makes sense) already. Hopefully i can keep water healthy for them :) And i have a fantastic tank on ebay atm, so fingers crossed i will have a ferplast dubai 80 by end of next week, and fingers crossed it will have cycled quickly so i can swap them over at end of xmas hols and have less tanks in my house next year ;) 

Good luck!

Have you got test kits yet, as Ch4rlie recommended? If not, you want to be changing at least 60 or 75% of the water every day until you can get some.

Good stuff 
smile.png

Glad you have a decent plan and look forward to seeing some pics of you set ups and your new tank (fingers crossed for you for that eBay) when you get it! 
happy.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back