Help!.... Need advise to cure my fish

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ama

Reaction score
Today i noticed protruding scales on my platy and i immediately changed it into another tank, However, fish seems healthy for me and no swollen belly. Is that the sign of dropsy. What are the effective methods to cure the disease.
And how to stop spreading the disease to other fish

DSC_0013-01.jpeg
DSC_0005-01.jpeg
DSC_0009.JPG

The scales sticking out sideways is characteristic of dropsy and there is no cure. Euthanise the fish.

Wipe the inside of the tank with a clean fish sponge and then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.

The scales sticking out sideways is characteristic of dropsy and there is no cure. Euthanise the fish.

Wipe the inside of the tank with a clean fish sponge and then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for the next 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use them.
Is that necessary to clean the gravel? because i have some plants inside the tank.
I did 75% water change in my main aquarium after i spotted this disease and also cleaned filter with aquarium water.

IMG_20190830_201736-01.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with Colin_T that dropsy is difficult if not impossible to treat. Your is not that progressed yet however. I have had success in saving a goldfish who is still with me today. Here is treatment if you want to try this before euthanizing:

In quarantine tank, add 1 tsp of Epsom salt (not aquarium salt) for each gallon of dechlorinated water same temp as your tank. You can use tank water. Be sure it has no fragrances added. Add Seachem Kanaplex and Furan-2 according to directions for 7 days. Best of luck in whichever decision you choose.

I agree with Colin_T that dropsy is difficult if not impossible to treat. Your is not that progressed yet however. I have had success in saving a goldfish who is still with me today. Here is treatment if you want to try this before euthanizing:

In quarantine tank, add 1 tsp of Epsom salt (not aquarium salt) for each gallon of dechlorinated water same temp as your tank. You can use tank water. Be sure it has no fragrances added. Add Seachem Kanaplex and Furan-2 according to directions for 7 days. Best of luck in whichever decision you choose.
:thanks:Thank you so much for the procedures... I'll try to buy the epsom salt from the store if it is available...i i really want to save it :)

:thanks:Thank you so much for the procedures... I'll try to buy the epsom salt from the store if it is available...i i really want to save it :)
Epsom salt pulls fluid off. The other meds are antibiotics to treat infection or cause.

Is that necessary to clean the gravel? because i have some plants inside the tank.
I did 75% water change in my main aquarium after i spotted this disease and also cleaned filter with aquarium water.
You should vacuum the gravel every week when you do your water change. Just remove the ornaments and vacuum around the plants. Organic matter gets trapped in between the gravel and your substrate becomes a very effective nitrate factory.

Epsom salt pulls fluid off. The other meds are antibiotics to treat infection or cause.
As per your guidelines i bought Epsom salt to start the treatment. Unfortunately, today morning affected platy died :(

As per your guidelines i bought Epsom salt to start the treatment. Unfortunately, today morning affected platy died :(
I’m so sorry. Dropsy is often fatal. You tried to help him.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back